• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

separation requirement for residential overhead SE and 'roof' vent

rossn

For the below shown situation, what's the minimum horizontal and vertical clearance required between the OH conductors and/or mast and a PVC radon pipe that would extend 12" beyond the roof line (going around the eave, not through).

Prior to the SE being moved, a radon pipe went up and around the eave just left of the vertical gutter drain pipe.

2017 NEC reference would be great... did not see it in 230.9 or 230.24.

Thank you!

1681604119156.png
1681604152107.png

Ok, thanks. I'm taking from your comment that there isn't a minimum separation.

SE relocation was two fold... service upgrade to 320 amp service, in conjunction with the original OH SE going almost above the hot tub the prior owner installed... OH conductors are now about 20' shorter, which in my mind, is not a bad thing.

A PVC radon pipe as you describe would not be a problem. There is no NEC reference for that. Why was the SE relocated?

Ok, thanks. I'm taking from your comment that there isn't a minimum separation.

SE relocation was two fold... service upgrade to 320 amp service, in conjunction with the original OH SE going almost above the hot tub the prior owner installed... OH conductors are now about 20' shorter, which in my mind, is not a bad thing.

Thanks. I ended up routing the exhaust point maybe 1/2" above the eave, after reading some documentation from my state on radon mitigation, and them calling out explicitly that 12" is a guideline that isn't required.