• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Service cables through adjoining townhouses

Chris Schiewer

Can a row of townhouses have all the meters at one end of the building and run the cables to the individual townhouse panels through the adjoining townhouses?

Yes, if the building and fire departments allow it.

It goes like this - 2020 NEC 225.30 starts out saying that every building or structure can only be served by one feeder, then it gives a list of exceptions. Exception C allows multiple feeders by special permission from the AHJ. Exception F allows multiple feeders for a building under single management where documented safe switching procedures are established, which again would be accepted or rejected by the AHJ.

A townhouse is built under the IRC code, and so the fire separation between units resembles a true fire wall from the IBC in some aspects, but it does not have as many specific requirements. The result is that a townhouse is considered a single structure by the NEC code, not many structures divided by IBC firewalls.

There is no prohibition anywhere about running wiring for one unit of a townhouse or duplex through someone else's unit. There is a risk of damage happening to your power in someone else's unit, and fixing it will be a pain for both you and them, but that issue is not addressed by the code.

However, given that running multiple feeders requires the approval of the AHJ, they could approve it with conditions that would address that concern if they wanted to - the AHJ kind of has a blank check since you are asking for special approval.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
If they are "service" cables I say no.....feeders may be allowable....

230.70 General.

Means shall be provided to disconnect all ungrounded conductors in a building or other structure from the service conductors.
(A) Location.
The service disconnecting means shall be instal⁠led in accordance with 230.70(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3).
(1) Readily Accessible Location.
The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

Good point, we have had a local amendment requiring the disconnect to be on the exterior for the benefit of the firefighters, therefore anything entering the building is a feeder in my jurisdiction and that is where my mind went. In other jurisdictions, that is often not the case.

If they are truely townhouses, then there would be a property line between them. I would assume that IF service conductors did pass through adjoining units, there would have to be an easement allowing it also.

2018 IRC E3601.3 states service conductors supplying a building or other structure shall not pass through the interior of another building or other structure.
So are the cables from the from the meters to the individual panels considered service conductors?

2018 IRC E3601.3 states service conductors supplying a building or other structure shall not pass through the interior of another building or other structure.
So are the cables from the from the meters to the individual panels considered service conductors?
Without putting too fine a point on it, a service conductor is a conductor that comes from the "service point" which is basically the spot where the utility owned wiring becomes the customer owned wiring, to the first means of disconnect. From the first means of disconnect to any sub panels is considered feeder conductors, and from the last subpanel to the point of use is a branch circuit.

Keep in mind that separate units in a townhouse are still the same building or structure. One townhouse with 7 units = one building or structure. You could run a wire from one end to the other through all 7 units, and that wire would have always been in the same building or structure.

I think the confusion from the original post is in whether the "cables" being strung through the building / between the units are:
(A) "service" conductor cables (unmetered power, before a disconnect), or
(B) "feeder" cables (power after the meters and disconnect).

If (A): no, not in most places in America. The utility company doesn't want someone tapping into free power, and emergency personnel want to be able to shut off power in a building.
If (B): yes, it happens all the time with wiring, plumbing, fire sprinkler lines... especially in attics and interstitial spaces.

Thanks Beniah Naylor. I understand now that the service conductors end at the first point of disconnect. But now I'm concerned about feeder wires running through someone else's townhouse since they are separate properties. Does the code address this concern?

It's probably OK for rental townhouses. Condominium or fee simple townhouses need easements to prevent the owner of one unit from disturbing the feeder(s) running through his unit to serve another unit.

I'm back thanks for all the responses. Now it has come to my attention that the gas lines are also metered at one end of a 4 unit townhouse and the gas lines supplies will also run through adjacent properties. I can't find any code that prohibits it, but how do you repair a gas line or wire in someone else's house?

The townhouse is a single family residence which due to property lines you cannot run anything through a unit from another unit. This also involves zoning codes but sometimes it's not enforced with electrical feeds.