• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sharkbite Type connectors, unions and bonding question

tbz

Silver Member
So here is my question, and plumbing is not my primary, nor secondary, but helping a friend out with a hot water heater dip tube replacement, which should be a simple job normally.

The issue is the original installation 20 years ago, nor the replacement 8 years ago, installed unions at the water heater to make this job simple to service.

So, the simplest way to add the unions I see currently is to take a Sharkebite to male thread fitting and thread each end into a union, and then cut and replace the section on the cold feed and the hot feed.

My thought process is the threaded fittings will break the current bond connection and needs to be re-established with jumpers, but if I use sweated fitting unions I can forgo the bonding jumpers, yes/no?

Or does the tank need to even be in the bond, as there is a jumper at the ceiling level, connecting the hot and cold lines already and the threaded connectors to the tank are already breaking the bond loop in question?

16916.jpeg 16912.jpeg

I would accept the jumper and ceiling level between the hot and cold as meeting the requirement. That being said I've also read several places whether the threaded unions break that bond or not. I purse I don't think they do but....

The jumper at the ceiling is sufficient for the bonding of the water pipes. The water heater tank itself is bonded to the ground wire in the piece of 10/2 NM cable that is feeding it, the ground wire from that cable is simply screwed to the case, and provides all of the bonding required for that water heater.

1690822358267.png