• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Shed display lot

Sifu

SAWHORSE
What accessibility would be required for a garden shed display lot? Any? Accessible route to the sheds? How would this be covered by scoping?

More info. Just drove to the proposed site. It is a guy with a vacant property, grass field. Wants to store/display prefab sheds. Not sure what to do with this beyond tying them down. Even with that, if one is properly anchored and they sell it, how could we be sure the replacement is anchored. Shirley a permit isn't required every time one is sold.

More info. Just drove to the proposed site. It is a guy with a vacant property, grass field. Wants to store/display prefab sheds. Not sure what to do with this beyond tying them down. Even with that, if one is properly anchored and they sell it, how could we be sure the replacement is anchored. Shirley a permit isn't required every time one is sold.
What's the size? Are you sure that they need to be anchored? Many Farm Stores, Tractor Supply and Home Depots display sheds in the parking lot and none are anchored. There's some pretty big gazebos on display at my local Costco that are not anchored.

Music to my ears. I really don't know how to regulate this, nor do I really want to. We can't really provide the service every time a unit is moved, even if the owner informed us every time. I am wondering about a condition of the business license that the owner would maintain the lot, route and anchorage...handled through zoning since they have to sign off on this anyway. And maybe the fire department could periodically verify compliance through an annual inspection.

The displays at Lowes and Tractor Supply are exactly the condition I have envisioned, although I couldn't say whether they are anchored or not. From a business perspective I would think they would be, for theft or overturning in wind, but maybe they aren't. When we permit these things in their final destination I typically only look at setbacks and distance to adjacent structures and anchorage. But I don't know how to handle multiple units in storage or display.

This is a zoning thing more than a building code thing. We classed them as temporary structures and walked away.

Wouldn’t you need a ramp for at least one shed so handicap people could access the inside to check construction details?

How would you permit a lumber yard?

When a contractor has a portable shed on a construction site how is that permitted?

Since there are no prescriptive code provisions for anchoring sheds would you require an engineer or architect to design the anchorages?