• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Shipping Container House

Does anyone have any experience with "modified storage containers" ? I have a proposal for one of these being used as a drive up coffee shop. There is some info available online but not much and the more I read the more convoluted this whole concept becomes. For instance I have learned that when these containers are used as shipping containers before being modified they use arsenic and other good stuff to treat the wood flooring in an effort to ward off insects and the like. Also it seems to be popular to make all modifications to the container prior to being brought to the site. Is this an effort to thwart inspection process? Such as ascertaining if the original wood flooring has been removed? Is this considered similar to manufactured housing? I don't think it is I'm but looking for voices of experience.

thanks for your help

VillageInspector, Until a few years ago (and still available to this day) PT lumber was all treated with arsenic (the 'A' in CCA). I think the finishing that is done prior to site arrival has more to do with practicality and merchantability than dodging inspection. Generally speaking, fabricated assemblies need to be inspected at the fabricator and Chapter 17 gives the Code Official broad discretion in what may (or may not) be acceptable in that jurisdiction. Ask for the necessary documentation (or bring a can opener to the inspection?).