• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Should Video Inspections be Mandatory for Pipe Relining in Commercial Buildings?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
We issue a lot of permits for high-rise buildings getting this done. One hundred percent of the time we are given video and letters from special inspectors signing off on the job. How do you folks handle this? Should video inspections be mandatory?

The inspector should witness a camera run prior to relining the pipe. Looking for collapsed pipe, swales or laterals that could be blocked off. After the work is completed there should be another camera run looking for an accumulation of debris or liquid. There is also a concern regarding any fused joints with the pipe bursting method of sewer lining. The fusion process creates a lip on the inside and the use a de-burring tool is required.

Videos can come from anywhere and I have never encountered a special inspector for pipe relining. What ICC classification covers that?

Worth noting is that contractors seldom mention that the pipe will be relined. Instead of that, they take out a permit for a cleanout fitting and we find out about the relining by asking questions at the inspection. Then of course they produce a video of the initial camera run.

Videos can come from anywhere and I have never encountered a special inspector for pipe relining. What ICC classification covers that?
All of the inspectors that sign off are from engineering firms. I am not aware of any ICC cert for this. Our plumbing inspectors just go out to status the work as a partial and collect the engineer stamped special inspection reports and are often given a thumb drive of the video.

All of the inspectors that sign off are from engineering firms.
That would work for me however, I can see where the contractors would rebel at the cost of a special inspector when we do it for an inexpensive permit fee. Like I said, they seldom tell us about the liner so when the typical inspector shows up he gets a thumb drive and an apology....the permit is signed off and there hasn't been any push back from owners that I am aware of.

I once had a problem develop when a branch for a clothes washer was blocked. It went unnoticed for several years and finally the ground just wouldn't take any more water. The washer was in the garage and the driveway was buckled.

Last edited:
# ~ #

Maybe have language in the contract identifying exactly

what the contractors & subs will be performing [ i.e. -
visual inspections, ...video inspections with sign off from

an engineer ].

Showing up on the jobsite and being told that there is \
was a video inspection, is a little late in the game.

# ~ #