• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Showroom into service drive...change of occupancy?

admiralArchArch

We have a non-sprinklered existing vehicle showroom (B) that we are punching holes into the exterior wall and converting into a service drive. We will have a waiting room, service advisors, a few offices and support spaces. Would this be considered a IEBC chapter 10 change of occupancy from B to S-1? I am unsure if the addition of a service drive is enough to change classification but perhaps it is.

Thanks!

We have a non-sprinklered existing vehicle showroom (B) that we are punching holes into the exterior wall and converting into a service drive. We will have a waiting room, service advisors, a few offices and support spaces. Would this be considered a IEBC chapter 10 change of occupancy from B to S-1? I am unsure if the addition of a service drive is enough to change classification but perhaps it is.

Thanks!
I would say yes. You may be able to classify it as an accessory occupancy, but really you still have a change of occupancy.

Also, take note that the IEBC has both a change of use and a change of occupancy.

[A] CHANGE OF USE. A change in the use of a building or a portion of a building, within the same group classification, for which there is a change in application of the code requirements.

[A] CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY. Any of the following shall be considered as a change of occupancy where the current International Building Code requires a greater degree of safety, accessibility, structural strength, fire protection, means of egress, ventilation or sanitation than is existing in the current building or structure:

1. Any change in the occupancy classification of a building or structure.
  2. Any change in the purpose of, or a change in the level of activity within, a building or structure.
  3. A change of use.
Scoping of applicable sections is dependent upon change of use/occupancy, and is as follows:

2021 IEBC

1001.2.1 Change of Use

Any work undertaken in connection with a change in use that does not involve a change of occupancy classification or a change to another group within an occupancy classification shall conform to the applicable requirements for the work as classified in Chapter 6 and to the requirements of Sections 1002 through 1010.
Exception: As modified in Section 1204 for historic buildings.

1001.2.2 Change of Occupancy Classification or Group

Where the occupancy classification of a building changes, the provisions of Sections 1002 through 1011 shall apply. This includes a change of occupancy classification and a change to another group within an occupancy classification.

1001.2.2.1 Partial Change of Occupancy

Where the occupancy classification or group of a portion of an existing building is changed, Section 1011 shall apply.
Take note that the most significant requirements come from Section 1011, which only applies to Change of Occupancy.

It depends on the codes that your area has. For example, my state does not use chapter 1 of the IBC and has no requirement for a change of use, just for a change of occupancy:
PA UCC

§ 403.42. Permit requirements and exemptions​

(a) An owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a commercial building, structure and facility or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system regulated by the Uniform Construction Code shall first apply to the building code official and obtain the required permit under § 403.42a (relating to permit application).

The service drive itself would be a change of occupancy because there are vehicles driving in and out of it. The "waiting room, service advisors, a few offices and support spaces" would still be B.

I would say yes. You may be able to classify it as an accessory occupancy, but really you still have a change of occupancy.

Also, take note that the IEBC has both a change of use and a change of occupancy.

[A] CHANGE OF USE. A change in the use of a building or a portion of a building, within the same group classification, for which there is a change in application of the code requirements.

[A] CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY. Any of the following shall be considered as a change of occupancy where the current International Building Code requires a greater degree of safety, accessibility, structural strength, fire protection, means of egress, ventilation or sanitation than is existing in the current building or structure:

1. Any change in the occupancy classification of a building or structure.
  2. Any change in the purpose of, or a change in the level of activity within, a building or structure.
  3. A change of use.
Scoping of applicable sections is dependent upon change of use/occupancy, and is as follows:

2021 IEBC

1001.2.1 Change of Use

Any work undertaken in connection with a change in use that does not involve a change of occupancy classification or a change to another group within an occupancy classification shall conform to the applicable requirements for the work as classified in Chapter 6 and to the requirements of Sections 1002 through 1010.
Exception: As modified in Section 1204 for historic buildings.

1001.2.2 Change of Occupancy Classification or Group

Where the occupancy classification of a building changes, the provisions of Sections 1002 through 1011 shall apply. This includes a change of occupancy classification and a change to another group within an occupancy classification.

1001.2.2.1 Partial Change of Occupancy

Where the occupancy classification or group of a portion of an existing building is changed, Section 1011 shall apply.
Take note that the most significant requirements come from Section 1011, which only applies to Change of Occupancy.

Thank you for the response. Is this an example of change of use, motor-vehicle showroom (B) that becomes a bank (still B)?

Also I just read section 1002 in the 2018 IEBC:

SECTION 1002 SPECIAL USE AND OCCUPANCY
1002.1 Compliance with the building code. Where the character or use of an existing building or part of an existing building is changed to one of the following special use or occupancy categories as defined in the International Building Code, the building shall comply with all of the applicable requirements of the International Building Code:
1. Covered and open mall buildings.
2. Atriums.
3. Motor vehicle-related occupancies.
4. Aircraft-related occupancies.
5-11.....

Is it fair to say that the previous use of a showroom was a "Motor vehicle-related occupancy"? Motor vehicle-related is not defined in the IBC.

Additionally, looking at section 903 in the 2018 IBC, I feel like I can make a case that a service drive is not primarily used for the storage of commercial vehicles, nor is it a repair garage. Would that make sense?

903.2.9 Group S-1.
An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout all buildings containing a Group S-1 occupancy where one of the following conditions exists:

1. A Group S-1 fire area exceeds 12,000 square feet (1115 m2).
2. A Group S-1 fire area is located more than three stories above grade plane.
3. The combined area of all Group S-1 fire areas on all floors, including any mezzanines, exceeds 24,000 square feet (2230 m2).
4. A Group S-1 fire area used for the storage of commercial motor vehicles where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).
5. A Group S-1 occupancy used for the storage of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 2,500 square feet (232 m2).

903.2.9.1 Repair garages.
An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout all buildings used as repair garages in accordance with Section 406, as shown:

1. Buildings having two or more stories above grade plane, including basements, with a fire area containing a repair garage exceeding 10,000 square feet (929 m2).
2. Buildings not more than one story above grade plane, with a fire area containing a repair garage exceeding 12,000 square feet (1115 m2).
3. Buildings with repair garages servicing vehicles parked in basements.
4. A Group S-1 fire area used for the repair of commercial motor vehicles where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).

It depends on the codes that your area has. For example, my state does not use chapter 1 of the IBC and has no requirement for a change of use, just for a change of occupancy:
PA UCC

§ 403.42. Permit requirements and exemptions​

(a) An owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a commercial building, structure and facility or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system regulated by the Uniform Construction Code shall first apply to the building code official and obtain the required permit under § 403.42a (relating to permit application).

Ours doesn't adopt chapter 1 either, but I guess I don't understand the implications of what your suggesting.

What "service" is being performed in this drive through area?

I think this is a crucial question. A motor vehicle showroom is a B. A motor vehicle repair garage is an S-1. If there will be any actual repair work done in this drive-through, it's a change of occupancy AND a change of use group classification. If it's just a drive-up where people drop their cars off, to be worked on later in a different building (or a different part of the same building), then **perhaps** it **might** still be considered a B use.

What "service" is being performed in this drive through area?
I think this is a crucial question. A motor vehicle showroom is a B. A motor vehicle repair garage is an S-1. If there will be any actual repair work done in this drive-through, it's a change of occupancy AND a change of use group classification. If it's just a drive-up where people drop their cars off, to be worked on later in a different building (or a different part of the same building), then **perhaps** it **might** still be considered a B use.

Good questions, and this kind of where my thinking is. It is a service drive where customers will drive up, talk to the service advisor, get their vehicle checked-in, then it is taken to the repair shop or elsewhere that is in a different building. No work will be done in this building, nor is there any equipment in this building available to do any work.

So similar to a carwash in terms of a vehicle in a building? Drive through, overhead or rolling doors for weather, no actual "car" activity?

Good questions, and this kind of where my thinking is. It is a service drive where customers will drive up, talk to the service advisor, get their vehicle checked-in, then it is taken to the repair shop or elsewhere that is in a different building. No work will be done in this building, nor is there any equipment in this building available to do any work.
I've classified this as S-2 in the past.

One issue that I have seen with this type of space is that on nights and weekends, when the service department is not open, this bay is used for parking customer vehicles that have not yet made it into the service bays. This is done for security, weather protection, etc.

Since there is no repair or servicing in that space, I would agree it is a "B" occupancy. Some dealerships, (auto, motorcycle) include a space that is used when the owner is picking up the purchased vehicle the salesman explains how everything in these highly digital/computerized things operate. Sometimes it is 30 minutes or less, sometimes longer. That same thing happens when you go to an auto body repair shop to get an insurance estimate. No work is performed in that space. Common out here where the winter weather is part of doing business.

It is not an S-2 because it is not for the publics use.

406.3.1 Classification.
Private garages and carports shall be classified as Group U occupancies. Each private garage shall be not greater than 1,000 square feet (93 m2) in area.

406.4 Public parking garages.
Parking garages, other than private garages, shall be classified as public parking garages and shall comply with the provisions of Sections 406.2 and 406.4 and shall be classified as either an open parking garage or an enclosed parking garage.

406.3.1 Classification.
Private garages and carports shall be classified as Group U occupancies. Each private garage shall be not greater than 1,000 square feet (93 m2) in area.

Parking garages, other than private garages, shall be classified as public parking garages and shall comply with the provisions of Sections 406.2 and 406.4 and shall be classified as either an open parking garage or an enclosed parking garage.
Are you suggesting that the public can't drive their vehicles into the bay? I don't believe that aligns with the OP. I think you are being a bit broad in your application of the word public.

It is an occupiable portion of the building, I would wholeheartedly say it is definitely not a Group U.

Since there is no repair or servicing in that space, I would agree it is a "B" occupancy. Some dealerships, (auto, motorcycle) include a space that is used when the owner is picking up the purchased vehicle the salesman explains how everything in these highly digital/computerized things operate. Sometimes it is 30 minutes or less, sometimes longer. That same thing happens when you go to an auto body repair shop to get an insurance estimate. No work is performed in that space. Common out here where the winter weather is part of doing business.

So when we typically do dealerships, we will classify the service drive with either the B (showroom) or S-1 (shop), depending on the direct adjacency to either. If it has direct connection adjacency to the showroom, we go B. If it directly connected with both the showroom but also the shop we err on the side of caution and throw it in with S-1.

Are you suggesting that the public can't drive their vehicles into the bay?

No, I am saying the public cannot park in the bay therefore the use of that space is not a parking garage and therefore not an S-2 use.

[B]admiralArchArch[/B] said best in the above post.​

No, I am saying the public cannot park in the bay therefore the use of that space is not a parking garage and therefore not an S-2 use.

[B]admiralArchArch[/B] said best in the above post.​

Are you referring to this post?
So when we typically do dealerships, we will classify the service drive with either the B (showroom) or S-1 (shop), depending on the direct adjacency to either.
If so, then I agree with the approach. I would also accept an S-2 given the proposed use (vehicle pick-up/drop-off) is less hazardous than a repair garage, and where used for parking of vehicles, would most closely resemble a parking garage. B, S-1, or S-2, and I am likely good.

406.3.1 Classification.
Private garages and carports shall be classified as Group U occupancies.
What I would not agree with is a group U occupancy, which is what I took your post to be indicating.

In no way would the proposed vehicle aisle be of such a minor, accessory function to warrant Group U. It will likely be occupied continuously during business hours, will have significant fire loading and potential (vehicles), and would be attached to the primary building.