• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sign for residential based child care center

MikeC

Silver Member
How should I address this? The owner of a home based child care center wants to put up a sign. Zoning has been approved for a sign that is 6 feet or less over grade. The IRC doesn't say anything about signs. I am thinking I should treat is as a section of a fence - less than 6 feet is exempt from permitting.

Any thoughts?

Could apply non-lateral supported foundation construction if similar however technically erected or constructed sign structures are outside the scope of IRC; need to refer to applicable sections of the IBC in accordance of your adopted code.

SECTION 3107 SIGNS (2009 IBC)

3107.1 General. Signs shall be designed, constructed and maintained in accordance with this code.

The design of signs is to be in accordance with the code. If the design is inadequate, no amount of expert construction, repair or maintenance will result in a safe sign. The primary requirements for such signs will be related to structural stability as addressed in :Next('./icod_ibc_2009f2cc_16_par001.htm')'>Chapter 16. Signs projecting over the public right-of-way will also be subject to the requirements of :Next('./icod_ibc_2009f2cc_32_par001.htm')'>Chapter 32

Signs within a covered mall building are specifically addressed by :Next('./icod_ibc_2009f2cc_4_par041.htm')'>Section 402.16.

Note that Appendix H, when adopted by a jurisdiction, provides more specific requirements related to signs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Treat it like any other commercial sign

Surprised the town allows a home based business to advertise like that

As Francis said go to the appropriate IBC codes after all this is a commercial application even though it's in a residential setting.