• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Significant Changes 2009 IRC IBC Handout Web Site

Re: Significant Changes 2009 IRC IBC Handout Web Site

Thanks Mule

docgj

Thanx Mule!

Q. 1013.3 Opening Limitations

Why would the code change to allow a 4-3/8" sphere between a guard rail height of 36" - 42" instead of the standard 4" sphere.

Who submitted this change, the Guard Rail Makers of China?

I hope while I'am inspecting I don't miss this one, can't waite to hear the contractor go off on me! :eek: :evil:

The 2006 allowed an 8 inch opening above 34 inches. I do not know why they dropped. There were some nice looking guardrails with 4 inch openings up to 34 inches and then a larger opening above that to a single rail at the top.

Thanks though we're going to stay 06 for the next few years it appears because of budget concerns.

has to do with spacing on the new tread depth..

of course, most municipalities change the stair geometry to allow the older, steeper stairs, but they don't address the guards..

not all changes are listed in the ICC handout.. some changes are not signficant.. some are.. you need to buy the book. (reasonably priced, I'm sure from ICC.. but they all won't be in there, either)...

Thanks Mule...some good info.

One of my Inspectors pointed out something that surprised him: 2009 IRC has more pages than the 2009 IBC.

Have a great day!

~A

Alan said:
One of my Inspectors pointed out something that surprised him: 2009 IRC has more pages than the 2009 IBC.Just doesn't seem right was his comment!

Have a great day!

~A
Well you've got to think about it! The IRC has electrical, plumbing, gas, mechanical, swimming pools and so on within their text book. The IBC is strictly building.