• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Single exit from high rise elevator lobbies

Nate D

This kind-of piggy backs on the other single exit question in this forum but is specific to elevator lobbies of the upper floors.

For a high-rise building 20 floors +/- in California.

Yype 1A construction

fully sprinklered

Occupancy B

Can the elevator lobbies be connected directly to one exit? I have a single tenant floor and would like to remove the corridor to the second exit from the elevator lobby. The second exit would then be only accessible to the tenant of that floor through the suite.

I know that when approved I can use "1008.1.4.6 Access-controlled elevator lobby egress doors."

What I'd rather do is leave direct access to the stair that is closest to the elevator lobby.

Does 1021.1 exception 5 apply? Both stairs discharge directly to the exterior at the level of exit discharge. The occupant load would be just the elevator lobby.

Thanks

Welcome!

It should be acceptable to have only 1 exit access door out of an elevator lobby, and the code does specifically permit/require elevator lobbies serving occupant evacuation elevators to connect directly to an exit stair enclosure (though this may impact the fire-resistive construction requirements of your corridor, and there may still be 2 exits required from the floor).

If 2 exits are required, consider a 2nd door such as permitted with SF Locking Elevator Lobby Doors provisions.

As an alternative, consider incorporating City of Seattle provisions for single exits in SBC 1021.2 a a part of your alternative method.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be acceptable as long as each floor does not have a requirement for access to two exits....... The elevator lobby may only have one exit, the floor exiting requirement may require access to both exits to be provided...... Without plans, it is hard to answer specific questions...... and as always, the local AHJ has the final say so....

Chances are that in a high-rise two exits are required from a floor per Table 1021.2, but only one exit access from an elevator lobby per 1015.1.

While an occupant in the elevator lobby may need only 1 exit access, they may still need access to 2 exits.

Everyone on the floor requires access to both exits but the exit stair acces from the elevator lobby is a separate issue.

Both issues must be solved for.

I totally agree with you RLM- Architect. Both the exits are necessary for everyone on the floor. Besides, a lot depends on the kind of floor plans of the organization.

Úp phụ nè................. nhớ úp lại nha pro, cám ơn hehehehehheeh.........