• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Single Family to Duplex Conversion

RDeBree

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking to purchase an existing property that is occupied as single family residence with an in law suite. Doing my due diligence, I am looking to see what it would take to convert the in law suite into a legal apartment. The current zoning (R-2) allows for this change, but I'm not sure what I would need to do from a building code stand point. Would the separation in the existing building need to be upgraded to a 1 hour separation? How might I realistically do that in an existing building? Anything else to consider?

I am located in NYS.

Any info/insight would be appreciated!

Is it above the existing residence or garage? Do you have a floor plan you can post?
I currently do not, as I haven't even been in the house. I could sketch one up based on photos. The layout is front/back. The inlaw suite is in the front in a two story space. The back main unit is also in a two story space. The two units are then separated by a single story entry/ family room. The separation is through a vertical wall, not up down.

I would suggest consulting with a local architect that works in the town this property is located.

I would imagine it will need proper fire separation but there may be local codes that may be more stringent.

Might be worth it in the long run to know what your getting into

I would suggest consulting with a local architect that works in the town this property is located.

I would imagine it will need proper fire separation but there may be local codes that may be more stringent.

Might be worth it in the long run to know what your getting into
Yes, I definitely will, if I do purchase the house.

Unfortunately in todays housing market, I don't think I really have the time to do a full analysis with an architect. I posted here with hopes that someone had dealt with a similar situation, or could give me a rough estimate of the scope to complete the conversion.

The reason I suggest the local architect...

I remember reading something from the NY State code outreach program that one of the cities, Albany, Rochester or one of those requires sprinkler systems in two family or something like that. I may be wrong but I will see if I have it somewhere as I try and keep them in a binder.

Unfortunately in todays housing market, I don't think I really have the time to do a full analysis with an architect.
Fair statement. Then you should base your financial decision on worst case: conversion will either be denied or too expensive, and you won’t be getting the second rental income.