• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Single Motor Tap Calculation per the NEC

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I know of three people on this forum that can easily do this. Let's see if I am right. Here is the question for those who want to give it a try. Everything you need to calculate the answer is in the question and in the NEC.

A 25-hp, 230-V, 3-phase squirrel-cage motor is to be supplied from a branch circuit that has 2/0 AWG THW copper conductors, which have an ampacity of 175 A. See Table 310.16. Determine the correct size for the tap conductors less than 25 ft.

2020 NEC: Per 430.28 exception: feeder taps under that condition will be at 125% of FLC found in table 430.250 (68 amps x 125% = 85 amps.) Conductor size will be #4 copper THW at 75 degrees Celsius.

Minor quibble: the OP describes a branch circuit tap, not a feeder tap, so the applicable NEC section is 430.53(D). This assumes the branch circuit as a whole meets the requirements of 430.53(B) or (C).

Cheers, Wayne

Minor quibble: the OP describes a branch circuit tap, not a feeder tap, so the applicable NEC section is 430.53(D). This assumes the branch circuit as a whole meets the requirements of 430.53(B) or (C).

Cheers, Wayne
One-third of 175 A is 58 A. The tap conductor normally would be sized at 6 AWG THW copper (65 A). But a 6 AWG tap conductor does not meet the requirements of 430.22, that is, 125 percent of the full-load current of the motor (68 A from Table 430.250), or 85 A. Therefore, the branch-circuit tap conductors are not permitted to be smaller than 4 AWG THW copper, with an ampacity of 85 A. See Table 310.16.

One-third of 175 A is 58 A. The tap conductor normally would be sized at 6 AWG THW copper (65 A). But a 6 AWG tap conductor does not meet the requirements of 430.22, that is, 125 percent of the full-load current of the motor (68 A from Table 430.250), or 85 A. Therefore, the branch-circuit tap conductors are not permitted to be smaller than 4 AWG THW copper, with an ampacity of 85 A. See Table 310.16.
I agree with your computation, which also matches post #2. But it has no particular bearing on my post, so I'm not sure why you quoted me.

Cheers, Wayne