• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Single stage fire alarm system sending alert signal

sunyaer

The following is from Builder Tips published by City of Markham, Ontario. It looks to me that the modified single stage fire alarm system has the functionality of sending alert signal, it's pretty much acting as or similar to a two-stage system, am I correct?

This is a screenshot of the attached file with the whole article:
1690217960866.png

Attachments

• Sequencing for Modified fire alarm systems.pdf
    268.3 KB · Views: 5
The alert in this case is simply to let people know not to move from the building that is not on fire to the one that is.

It's not really a two-stage fire alarm, because unless a fire is discovered in the building that is not on fire, the fire alarm will not sound.

The alert in this case is simply to let people know not to move from the building that is not on fire to the one that is.

It's not really a two-stage fire alarm, because unless a fire is discovered in the building that is not on fire, the fire alarm will not sound.
I am just hair splitting here to understand the code, not saying your answer is not answering my question:

In the Builder Tips published by City of Markham, it seems the parking garage is considered in the building, since it says "do not go to the parking garage", how to explain this? ( I am assuming the "Builder Tips" is correct)

1690380526434.png

Parking garages can be treated as a separate building in a number of ways, by being a separate building accessed by a walkway, by being separated by a firewall, or through the use of a 2 hour horizontal fire separation (this is a unique allowance in the code).

In the first instance with two buildings being connected by a walkway, two separate fire alarms are to be provided, however, it is best practice for those alarms to communicate. There has been some movement to codify this requirement, but I'm unsure if they have made much progress yet.

In the other two situations, the buildings are to be treated as a single building for the purposes of the fire alarm, unless there are no openings in the firewall.

The whole concept they are trying to accomplish is to prevent people from moving from a safe area to an unsafe area by providing notification of the fire condition.

Last edited:
In the other two situations, the buildings are to be treated as a single building for the purposes of the fire alarm, unless there are no openings in the firewall.
What situations does "the other two situations" refer to?