• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sink accessibility

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have an art classroom, with two sinks, but each is a different type. The standard counter sink is accessible, but the other sink is not. Is the 5% but not less than 1 covered here, or does the different types cause a problem. '21 IBC 1110.3 does not include language about "each type" of sink, so I have a hard time citing it. What would you do?
1684345378586.png

My thinking as well, but it would sure seem to be "better" to lower it and provide the parallel approach.

Clearly there is a difference in the sinks. I would at a minimum lower it to 34" and go with a side approach

They shirley aren't going to tell me the differing functions on the plans. It is an art classroom, the sinks are a few feet apart, so I imagine both will be used for hand-washing, brush cleaning, glitter wiping, glue rinsing and whatever other messes a grade-schooler can conjure up. I guess I can ask for the distinction, but either way 5% but not less than 1 of the sinks in the room are accessible.

I have an art classroom, with two sinks, but each is a different type. The standard counter sink is accessible, but the other sink is not. Is the 5% but not less than 1 covered here, or does the different types cause a problem. '21 IBC 1110.3 does not include language about "each type" of sink, so I have a hard time citing it. What would you do?
View attachment 10710
Can the washout sink be considered a "service sink"?

1109.3 Sinks​
Where sinks are provided, at least 5 percent but not less than one provided in accessible spaces shall be accessible.​
Exception: Mop or service sinks are not required to be accessible.​

% ~ %

Mark, ...for the viewing audience and my own curiosity, please define Service Sink ?
Thanks !

% ~ %

Can the washout sink be considered a "service sink"?
1109.3 Sinks​
Where sinks are provided, at least 5 percent but not less than one provided in accessible spaces shall be accessible.​
Exception: Mop or service sinks are not required to be accessible.​
Maybe. But I still can't decide how to proceed. I think it is short-sighted to not make it accessible, but I want to stay within the bounds of my "authority". On one hand, there are two sinks, so they have provided the code min. accessible sinks. On the other hand, the sinks are clearly for different uses by the students, so have they provided equal access? Still chewing on this one.

& * & * &

Sifu, ...while I would be O.K. with the design and set-up, I am not

the one making the determination.

I would say that if funds are available to lower the stainless steel sink,
I would go ahead and lower it.
REASON: Lowering the (1) sink is the
minimum........The other sink can be lowered to add additional Accessibility
compliance...........That would brief well on the front end.......Besides, who
would want to not have additional Accessibility "for the children" ? :D

Doesn't everyone want to get onboard the "Helping the children
bandwagon" ?

& * & * &