• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sink Center Line

nsuchy

Was wondering if the UPC had an equivalent section to the IPC regarding the required center line distance of a sink to the wall:

405.3.1 Water closets, urinals, lavatories and bidets. A water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet shall not be set closer than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall, partition, vanity or other obstruction, or closer than 30 inches (762 mm) center to center between adjacent fixtures. (IPC)

Other than the required clear space for ADA, which I understand isn't required to be centered on the sink, is there any stipulation on the required center line distance?

Thanks!

2018 UPC 402.5 Setting

Fixtures shall be set level and in proper alignment with reference to adjacent walls. No water closet or bidet shall be set closer than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to a side wall or obstruction or closer than 30 inches (762 mm) center to center to a similar fixture. The clear space in front of a water closet, lavatory, or bidet shall be not less than 24 inches (610 mm). No urinal shall be set closer than 12 inches (305 mm) from its center to a side wall or partition or closer than 24 inches (610 mm) center to center.
Exception: The installation of paper dispensers or accessibility grab bars shall not be considered obstructions.

Was wondering if the UPC had an equivalent section to the IPC regarding the required center line distance of a sink to the wall:

405.3.1 Water closets, urinals, lavatories and bidets. A water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet shall not be set closer than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall, partition, vanity or other obstruction, or closer than 30 inches (762 mm) center to center between adjacent fixtures. (IPC)

Other than the required clear space for ADA, which I understand isn't required to be centered on the sink, is there any stipulation on the required center line distance?

Thanks!
I have looked for this before and can't recall ever finding an answer. The only place I have seen a sink in use that would not meet the 15"/30" requirement is in medical and veterinary office treatment rooms, where they cram a small hand-wash sink tight to the wall. The first time I saw it I called it out then realized it was a sink, not a lavatory, and an employee work space.

Thanks!
The lavatory in the restroom for a California Building code Chapter 11 accessible install shall be a minimum of 18" from a wall or similar. We do not enforce ADA here as the state has its own specifics regarding the federal standards, usually a wee bit more restrictive.

Sink has more gallons per minute of flow, 2 drain fixture units drain capacity for drainage calculations, and has to have an 1 1/2" drain.

Lavatory is less flow, 1 dfu., and minimum 1 1/4" drain pipe. And it's typically just for washing your hands in a bathroom, where a sink might be used for more heavy-duty applications.

Sink has more gallons per minute of flow, 2 drain fixture units drain capacity for drainage calculations, and has to have an 1 1/2" drain.

Lavatory is less flow, 1 dfu., and minimum 1 1/4" drain pipe. And it's typically just for washing your hands in a bathroom, where a sink might be used for more heavy-duty applications.
Ok. Not to argue, but he said a small hand washing station crammed into a corner. I imagine that to be like a bar sink.

Ok. Not to argue, but he said a small hand washing station crammed into a corner. I imagine that to be like a bar sink.
Yep, that is usually what I see, but it is not a lavatory in a bathroom, it is a sink. Each with different requirements though neither is defined. Seen in every Dr. office exam room everywhere, though MOST use the 15" limitation. Common definitions don't match what I infer from the codes. Lavatory is commonly defined as a room with a toilet and a washbasin, but in the IPC the section for lavatories clearly has nothing to do with the room or a toilet., so I take it as the washbasin portion.