• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"site built" training props

sergoodo

What are the solutions to maintain safety for a large interior space A-3 Occupancy, open roof/clg at 30ft above the floor, sprinkled, with the following training props.

prop A) In the middle of the room a 10ft x 16ft x 16ft height raised wood framed platform with 4 columns (like a table), no storage underneath.
#1 Underneath 3 sides open and the 4th side is a climbing wall.
#2 Underneath 2 opposing sides open and climbing walls on the remaining sides.
#3 Underneath climbing walls on all 4 sides totally enclosed.

prop B
) raised trampoline at 6ft height with adjacent ball pit.

Code says to drop and sprinkle under an obstruction that will delay activation or obstruct distribution pattern. Then defines the obstructions with items that have a use/activity/appurtenance underneath OR equipment. Dropping a sprinkler pipe down 15ft + is not reasonable due to stability, or functional durability due to the elements...being youthful elements.

thoughts:
prop A) Argument whether the climbing wall is not equipment has nothing to do with safety. Argument that the sprinklers are protecting the prop and since there is void underneath there is no activation delay or obstruction of distribution pattern - everything is protected.
prop B) This is equipment with no appurtenance or use in the void underneath. Adding sprinkler head underneath seems to be adding a hazard and ludicrous.

solutions:
Who thinks the training props are safe as-is without adding sprinkler head underneath? If not, what corrections would you propose to provide equivalent protection?
  1. notice sign for violation if anything stored underneath
  2. add smoke detector underneath and tie to fire alarm system
  3. remove prop A) decking and replace with grate...remove obstruction
  4. other?
  5. other?

Prop A

Are people normally on the top, as in do they climb to the top and stay up there for a minute??
Or climb the side and maybe just touch the top of the platform??

Prop b
I would not do anything with

Not a sprinkler problem

cda,
Prop A
Yes, normally on top, and would signify mastering the obstacle. Probably would be a coach or trainer staying on top beyond the average time lingering a minute before descent.

Prop b
would like to hear any more thoughts on why it is not a sprinkler problem.

Thanks cda

Ok got it for prop A

Give me 50 % opening on the top

Either wood slats, checks whatever, or wire mesh

And I would allow it.

Using solid shelf provision from racks, 50 opening not a solid shelf any more and water flows.

Prob B thoughts

Treat as a big bed, piece of furniture, whatever you want to call it,

And you do not require sprinklers under those items. Will have to look in 13 for that exception

cda,
Checked out the NFPA CH 13 and found this information - Thanks. References below are to the 2016 NFPA CH13

Equipment and props are similar in feature to 8.1.1(7) which do not require sprinklers.
(7) Furniture, such as portable wardrobe units, cabinets, trophy cases, and similar features not intended for occupancy, does not require sprinklers to be installed in them. This type of feature shall be permitted to be attached to the finish structure.

One difference prop “A” #1 & #2, is that all of the items listed in (7) contain ordinary/light hazard stuff. There is no hazard below the training prop except concrete floor or (at some level) non-combustible non-flammable rated mat. Since the area is open beneath the prop, it is possible to egress to the nearest exit underneath/through prop “A”

I agree with the 50% opening interpretation for the deck >48” wide would meet a minimum safety standard provided by code, but would you also agree that since there is no hazard below the prop: the safety level of this space remains the same?
8.5.5.3 Obstructions that prevent sprinklers from reaching hazard…

Would you agree that adding a layer of ⅝” gyp. bd to the underside and each of the closed sides would be a reasonable solution too? Could this be interpreted to increase the safety for the occupant(s) that possibly egress through and underneath the prop?

More thought into this when it was pointed out a finger injury quite possible...well falling off is also possible for the climbers was my "knee jerk" response.

the middle of the room a 10ft x 16ft x 16ft height raised wood framed platform with 4 columns (like a table), no storage underneath.

I would say that is to big of a combustible structure, not to require something.

Such as 50 % opening

Underneath makes to good of a storage area, even if they say Never

If you ask a good fire sprinkler company what they think, and see what their answer is.

I forgot what you do for a living???

and we should have the fire sprinkler company weigh in late tomorrow....Thanks

Hum

Sidewalls???

He did or business did not like my fifty per cent opening??