• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sizing of Accessible Parking Spaces

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Car parking spaces shall be 15 feet in width including 5 feet of cross hatch. Van parking spaces shall be 16 feet in width including 8 feet of cross hatch.

So does this verbiage mean that I can't use three 8' parking spots, make the middle one an access aisle, and have a van accessible on one side and a regular accessible spot on the other side?

This is one of the times where I appreciate what Washington State has done via amendment.

2018 WABC (2018 IBC) 1101.2.7 (ICC A117.1 Section 502.2) Vehicle Space Size

Car and van parking spaces shall be 96 inches (2440 mm) minimum in width.

2018 WABC (2018 IBC) 1101.2.8 (ICC A117.1 Section 502.4.2) Access Aisle Width

Access aisles serving car parking spaces shall be 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum in width. Access aisles serving van parking spaces shall be 96 inches (2440 mm) minimum in width.

This is one of the times where I appreciate what Washington State has done via amendment.

2018 WABC (2018 IBC) 1101.2.7 (ICC A117.1 Section 502.2) Vehicle Space Size

Car and van parking spaces shall be 96 inches (2440 mm) minimum in width.

2018 WABC (2018 IBC) 1101.2.8 (ICC A117.1 Section 502.4.2) Access Aisle Width

Access aisles serving car parking spaces shall be 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum in width. Access aisles serving van parking spaces shall be 96 inches (2440 mm) minimum in width.
The ANSI A117.1 and the ADA reads the same way as WABC.

The ANSI A117.1 and the ADA reads the same way as WABC.
Agree that they are very similar, but they are different.

2017 A117.1 502.2 Vehicle Space Size

Car parking spaces shall be 96 inches (2440 mm) minimum in width. Van parking spaces shall be 132 inches (3355 mm) minimum in width.
Exception: Where the adjacent access aisle is 96 inches (2440 mm) minimum in width, van parking spaces shall be 96 inches (2440 mm) minimum in width.

2017 A117.1 502.4 Access Aisle

Car and van parking spaces shall have an adjacent access aisle complying with Section 502.4.

Agree that they are very similar, but they are different.

2017 A117.1 502.2 Vehicle Space Size

Car parking spaces shall be 96 inches (2440 mm) minimum in width. Van parking spaces shall be 132 inches (3355 mm) minimum in width.
Exception: Where the adjacent access aisle is 96 inches (2440 mm) minimum in width, van parking spaces shall be 96 inches (2440 mm) minimum in width.

2017 A117.1 502.4 Access Aisle

Car and van parking spaces shall have an adjacent access aisle complying with Section 502.4.
Either one, I can take three 8' spaces and put an access aisle in the middle, a van on one side and a regular ada compliant on the other. Correct? Just not with the original post requirements.

Either one, I can take three 8' spaces and put an access aisle in the middle, a van on one side and a regular ada compliant on the other. Correct? Just not with the original post requirements.
Correct. Things are a bit more difficult when dealing with a single stall, but generally the idea of striping off the middle of three 8' stalls would work.

The language provided in the OP is unnecessarily challenging and the intent is lost via overspecification of the stall width. Providing flexibility via coupling the stall and aisle width makes more sense from a practical standpoint and allows for the greatest ability of meeting the intent of the code.

1. Van parking space must be 132 inches wide minimum with an adjacent 60-inch wide minimum access aisle. A van parking space of 96 inches wide minimum width an adjacent 96-inch wide minimum access aisle is also permitted (see below).

Car parking spaces shall be 15 feet in width including 5 feet of cross hatch. Van parking spaces shall be 16 feet in width including 8 feet of cross hatch.

So does this verbiage mean that I can't use three 8' parking spots, make the middle one an access aisle, and have a van accessible on one side and a regular accessible spot on the other side?
Depends on what else the document you quote from says.

If we assume that (a) "including 5 feet of cross hatch" means exactly 5 feet and (b) the cross hatch areas of parking spaces may overlap as a shared access aisle, but the rest of each spot may not overlap, then the above text requires 10 feet clear for the car, 8 feet of common cross hatch, and 8 feet clear for the van, so at least 26'.

Which makes me wonder, given the other sources cited, if the '15 feet' quoted isn't a typo, with '13 feet' intended.

Cheers, Wayne