• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Slab req'd ???

darcar

Silver Member
Can someone tell me if a concrete slab floor is required in a basement under the 2006 IRC and what code section?

My thought was that it would be necessary (or another method) to equal pressure from soil backfill.

Re: Slab req'd ???

I don't any requirement for a slab, and what is the difference between a short basement and a tall excavated crawl space?

See also Figure 602.3 which shows crawl space or basement foundation without a slab.

"R501.2 Floor construction shall be capable of accomodating all loads according to section R301 and of transmitting the resulting loads to the supporting structural members."

Dirt, stone, or paving bricks or blocks should be able to carry the 40 psf.

I don't even see a requirement for a hard floor for living space.

That said the lateral support of the base of the basement walls needs to be provided, a way of which is an interior slab at least 3.5 inches thick (404.1 (1)). Depending on the height of the unbalanced fill-- See 404.1.3 (2) where if over 4 ft of unbalanced fill then engineering required if not laterally suported top and bottom.

So if over 4 ft unbalanced fill then need slab or designed lateral support.

2006 IRC

R404.1 Concrete and masonry foundation walls.

Concrete and masonry foundation walls shall be selected and constructed in accordance with the provisions of Section R404 or in accordance with ACI 318, ACI 332, NCMA TR68–A or ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402 or other approved structural standards. When ACI 318, ACI 332 or ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402 or the provisions of Section R404 are used to design concrete or masonry foundation walls, project drawings, typical details and specifications are not required to bear the seal of the architect or engineer responsible for design, unless otherwise required by the state law of the jurisdiction having authority.

Foundation walls that meet all of the following shall be considered laterally supported:

1. Full basement floor shall be 3.5 inches (89 mm) thick concrete slab poured tight against the bottom of the foundation wall.2. Floor joists and blocking shall be connected to the sill plate at the top of wall by the prescriptive method called out in Table R404.1(1), or; shall be connected with an approved connector with listed capacity meeting Table R404.1(1).

3. Bolt spacing for the sill plate shall be no greater than per Table R404.1(2).

4. Floor shall be blocked perpendicular to the floor joists. Blocking shall be full depth within two joist spaces of the foundation wall, and be flat-blocked with minimum 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) blocking elsewhere.

5. Where foundation walls support unbalanced load on opposite sides of the building, such as a daylight basement, the building aspect ratio, L/W, shall not exceed the value specified in Table R404.1(3). For such foundation walls, the rim board shall be attached to the sill with a 20 gage metal angle clip at 24 inches (610 mm) on center, with five 8d nails per leg, or an approved connector supplying 230 pounds per linear foot (3.36 kN/m) capacity.

Thanks to both of you.

Now lets look at 2009 and notice they took most the wording out of 404.1

Is this where "designed in accordance with accepted engineering practice" comes into play?

Go to 404.1.3 (2) for the 48 inches of unbalanced fill without lateral support at top or bottom without a design being required. (2009)

501.2 is the same.

I don't know if the on-line codes are complete. Some verbiage in the section(s) may be left out.

No slab required. Where there is a slab, it must meet the sections cited.

Without support on top and bottom, you have a cantilevered situation...

The code doesn't address it other than say get an engineer...

The basement floor in the house I grew up in cracked.. and so did the foundation shortly there after.. it cost more to fix the wall than my parents paid for the house! (ok.. it was a long time ago they bought the house, but the repairs were 10K or better).