• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sleep Study Center in Business

100eyeballs

Bronze Member
Where a sleeping disorder clinic is planned for a business use medical office building, I would assume the occupancy/use is nothing other than B. If there are 10 units, each with its own toilet room, is it possible to determine if each toilet room should be an accessible? In IBC Chapter 11 it discusses I-2 hospital rooms only need 10 percent accessibility. There appears nothing similar applicable to a sleeping unit in a B occupancy. These are patients who are coming at night to spend the night and not staying more than 24 hours and are capable of self-preservation.

This one has been cussed a few times before if it is a B,I, or R

Only one missing is a D,,,, b,i,r,d

# $

From the `06 IBC, Section 304.1 - Business Group B:

Business Group B occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building

or structure, or a portion thereof, for office, professional or service-type

transactions, including storage of records and accounts......... Business

occupancies shall include, but not be limited to, the following:

Airport traffic control towers

Animal hospitals, kennels and pounds

Banks

Barber and beauty shops

Car wash

Civic administration

Clinic - outpatient

Dry cleaning and laundries: pick-up and delivery stations and

self-service

Educational occupancies for students above the 12th grade

Electronic data processing

Laboratories: testing and research

Motor vehicle showrooms

Post offices

Print shops

Professional services (architects, attorneys, dentists, physicians,

engineers, etc.)

Radio and television stations

Telephone exchanges

Training and skill development not within a school or academic program

& %

cda said:
This one has been cussed a few times before if it is a B,I, or ROnly one missing is a D,,,, b,i,r,d, S
Its a question of Scale isn't it.

I think it is an I-4, Day Care Facility, with the possible exception taking it to an R-3................although I am not sure the operator could assure that every patient is capable of self preservation, which takes it back to I-4,...........a B occpancy would not require sprinklers, I don't see people sleeping in a commercial building that does not have sprinklers,................

Individuals who undergo a sleep study are wired up with a number of sensors and then asked to sleep. There is somebody monitoring them all of he time they are sleeping. They then run experiments where they blow air into their nose while monitoring the results.

This is not a residential occupancy. The focus is on medical out patient.

gjmaia said:
I think it is an I-4, Day Care Facility, with the possible exception taking it to an R-3................although I am not sure the operator could assure that every patient is capable of self preservation, which takes it back to I-4,...........a B occpancy would not require sprinklers, I don't see people sleeping in a commercial building that does not have sprinklers,................
Glad you have not been by my office!!!!

The op was accessible bathrooms question!!!!!!

Then I believe there is no exemption for the bathrooms to be accessible.....all of them.....

Mark K said:
Individuals who undergo a sleep study are wired up with a number of sensors and then asked to sleep. There is somebody monitoring them all of he time they are sleeping. They then run experiments where they blow air into their nose while monitoring the results.This is not a residential occupancy. The focus is on medical out patient.

There is a nice chart in 1107.6.1 accessibility chapter of IBC that discusses the number of accessible units in R. Would anyone buy this as an R-1, non-seperated mixed use if the existing B building is fully sprinklered to begin with? Along the lines of transient lodging?

Otherwise, it would fall squarely in the the meaning of B, outpatient clinic, and be no different than any office space. Then we go back to Steveray's suggestion of treat them as those they are private office toilets under 1109.2 exception 1.

% % %

I would not consider your application to be an "R" occ. group type! :cool:

% % %

Not really a suggestion, but more of a "if you really feel as though you need to get out of accessibility, someone who isn't me might buy this...." kinda thing......

100eyeballs said:
There is a nice chart in 1107.6.1 accessibility chapter of IBC that discusses the number of accessible units in R. Would anyone buy this as an R-1, non-seperated mixed use if the existing B building is fully sprinklered to begin with? Along the lines of transient lodging? Otherwise, it would fall squarely in the the meaning of B, outpatient clinic, and be no different than any office space. Then we go back to Steveray's suggestion of treat them as those they are private office toilets under 1109.2 exception 1.

Less than 8-hours. I've been through one of these. It is also not classified as a ambulatory care facility as the patient is not incapacitated.

Even people with limited mobility have sleep disorder, this would be the same as any medical office,

or any government office inhabited by long term employees; let me check across the aisle with my counterpart; darn woke him up!

(h) Medical care facilities. Medical care facilities that are subject to this section shall comply with the provisions of the 2010 Standards applicable to medical care facilities, including, but not limited to, sections 223 and 805. In addition, medical care facilities that do not specialize in the treatment of conditions that affect mobility shall disperse the accessible patient bedrooms required by section 223.2.1 of the 2010 Standards in a manner that is proportionate by type of medical specialty.

Advisory 201.1 Scope. These requirements are to be applied to all areas of a facility unless exempted, or where scoping limits the number of multiple elements required to be accessible. For example, not all medical care patient rooms are required to be accessible; those that are not required to be accessible are not required to comply with these requirements. However, common use and public use spaces such as recovery rooms, examination rooms, and cafeterias are not exempt from these requirements and must be accessible.