• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

sleeping room egress

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all,

Could someone tell me when the requirement for secondary egress out of residential sleeping room would have been codified. The oldest book I have is a 1989 Cabo and it's in there.

thanksabunch

BS

Do you mean emergency escape and rescue door or window? It is in the 1985 UBC. That's as far back as I have for codebooks

82 UBC had black bars next to it which would indicate it was new since it covered the whole section.

1983 CABO it is there. They did not use a system for determining a new code, change, deletion of existing code.

It was new in 76, they might have tweaked it in 82. The 73 only spoke to natural light and ventilation requirements.