• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Slope vs tilt

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
I have been following the Millennium Tower issue for a long time. This is something that never occurred to me but makes sense.

Not arguing, but … how does it make sense? How does a couple of degrees of tilt render the pipes undrainable?

It seems less than credible that the tilt would cause one sink on the second floor and two 3rd floor condos to have a problem. A 29" lean at the top is far more of a concern than a plugged sink drain. That building should be taken apart before it has an unscheduled disassembly like Elon's BFR.

With the issue on the lower floors, I doubt it is the tenants of the units that have the issue, it is more likely tenants of the upper level units sending something down that blocked the flow and is causing the issue. For the overflow is happening when they are not in the building, hence they are at the level with the air relief, aka least resistance path of travel.....