• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Slum Lords

Re: Slum Lords

She also told Lawrence's attorneys to allow city inspectors inside the Oakwood and Albany homes to confirm that they're inhabitable.
If these properties will be inspected to ensure they are habitable, what’s the punishment?

Apparently this person was convicted of violations in regards to his “slum lord” properties that were uninhabitable.

I disagree with this judge’s sentence and think she’s overstepping her authority. How many of you have rental properties that you or your significant other won’t live in?

He is notorious around here and I am glad that he finally got some kind of punishment that has teeth.

Similar to a California case that eventually became a movie, 'The Landlord' I believe it was called.

A very close friend of mine was a law student at the time at Western State University and working for the California AGs office part-time, one of the cases he did research for was this one. The slumlord was indeed sentenced to serve time in one of his squalid slums...

He was allowed to have a cot to sleep on, a hot plate for cooking, a small refridgerator and (my personal favorite) one armed security guard! (apparently they were concerned that his tenants might seek their own 'justice').

I've often wondered why this didn't become more popular with prosecutors and judges...

I feel bad for the one armed security guard. Hope he is a good shot with the other arm. ;)

Actually, there was a movie "The Super", Joe Pesci was the slumlord. Same situation.

Thanks cboboggs, that's the movie. It was a fascinating case (according to my friend) and an (at the time) unheard of sentence. I wish (actually 'hope and pray'!) more Judges would use it.