• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Small Gas Water Heater

I'm really not happy with my interior designers who have shuffeled my utility room and left me with a water heater closet measuring only 24" x 24". Can anyone recommend a water heater with a 24" diameter?

Gas... probably vented through the roof.

I see that A.O.Smith has a 50 gallon unit with a diameter of only 22 inches. That should work just fine.

Thanks everyone!

I see that there are a lot of votes for tankless water heaters. How is that different from a "point-source" electric water heater?

I was just thinking of the lack of space. The point of use electric water heaters are great for small amounts of hot such as under a sink in a remote location of a residence or business, however the tankless can produce up to 9 plus GPM. Just depends on the demand you need to have.

Note: the tankless heater usally takes a much larger gas line (1") than a conventional tank water heater, and it requires greater combustion air supply. It also requires a (dedicated) electrical outlet, and thus a shutoff switch and a service light.

They can also make a little noise, because their fan runs every time someone uses the hot water.

If you need combustion air to an interior closet space, most tankless manufacturers have an all-in-one supply+exhaust fule in a single pipe.

It's not too late to get that max. $1500 tax credit for the tankless!

tankless water heaters may require a greater clearance to combustible walls . i would check the install directions before writing a check!

baypointarchitect said:
i see that a.o.smith has a 50 gallon unit with a diameter of only 22 inches. That should work just fine.Thanks everyone!
What are the required clearances?

You typically need a minimum of 5 or 6 inches of front clearance

Last edited by a moderator:
pwood - i bought a Noritz tankless this year. Clearances are found on page 7 and 8 of this pdf:

http://www.noritz.com/u/manuals/installation_manual_nr98_dvc.pdf

Clearance from side walls is 2" minimum, however, 8" is recommended for ease of inspection in case of a service call.

I know several people who have placed their tankless water heater in their attic, saving valuable floor area below. I originally planned to do this, but decided to mount it on an outside wall instead, because the manufacturer requires me to flush impurities from the tankless coils every 2 years to stay under warranty.

After 3 months of use, I now wish I had put it in the attic. The outside wall location is too noisy and it blows exhaust on me when I walk up to my back door.