• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smoke alarms, bedroom

With out seeing a floor plan,

I would say yes

Depends on where the non bedroom smoke alarm could be located and header on the opening, and what is in the area between the two doors.

Glad that is clear

New or existing ????

Last edited by a moderator:
2009 IRC requires one outside of each individual sleeping area, without mentioning doors. It does not require one outside of each door, just outside of the sleeping are. BUT, NFPA 72 does mention doors, requiring they be placed within 21 feet of any door to a sleeping room. So by that standard if the doors are more than 21' apart two detectors would be required. Clear as mud?

Master bedroom has a door into the living room and another into a hall. This is a remodel with a designer. He doesn't want one outside the bedroom in the living room. I have one in the hall.

Which code art addresses this?

chris kennedy said:
Master bedroom has a door into the living room and another into a hall. This is a remodel with a designer. He doesn't want one outside the bedroom in the living room. I have one in the hall.Which code art addresses this?
So the bedroom has two entrances ??

If yes code is not clear weather to require one at each entrance or not.

That is why you get paid the big bucks.

I normally do not require two, but i think I should

You never know which way the fire may come.

NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION

NFPA 72

11.5.1......outside of each separate dwelling unit sleeping area, within 21ft of any door to a sleeping room, the distance measured along a path of travel.

So is the outside POT to the bedrooms two entrances within 21 ft??

north star said:
+ & +See Section R314.3 [ `12 & `15 IRC ].

+ & +
R314.3 Location.

Smoke alarms shall be installed in the following locations:

1. In each sleeping room.

2. Outside each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.

3. On each additional story of the dwelling, including basements and habitable attics but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics. In dwellings or dwelling units with split levels and without an intervening door between the adjacent levels, a smoke alarm installed on the upper level shall suffice for the adjacent lower level provided that the lower level is less than one full story below the upper level.

Does not say each door

If you have a jack and Jill bathroom between two bedrooms,,

Do you put one in the bathroom/ which would be another entrance to the bedroom ??

+ $ +

"Do you put one in the bathroom/ which would be another entrance to the bedroom ??"
No !........Typically, the alarms are installed in the Hallways [ i.e. - the mostcommon MOE from those sleeping areas ], ...where the audible alarm can

be heard throughout the structure \ floor.

+ $ +

north star said:
+ $ +No !........Typically, the alarms are installed in the Hallways [ i.e. - the most

common MOE from those sleeping areas ], ...where the audible alarm can

be heard throughout the structure \ floor.

+ $ +
Ok using that

"""Master bedroom has a door into the living room and another into a hall. This is a remodel with a designer. He doesn't want one outside the bedroom in the living room. I have one in the hall.

Which code art addresses this?""

My most common moe is the living room door,

So I only need one there and not at the other door

cda said:
Do you put one in the bathroom/ which would be another entrance to the bedroom ??
From Kidde User Guide

2. LOCATIONS TO AVOID

Smoke alarms should not be installed within 3 ft (.9m) of the following:

the door to a kitchen, the door to a bathroom containing a tub or shower,

forced air supply ducts used for heating or cooling,

ceiling or whole house ventilating fans, or other high air flow

areas.

I read this to say, not IN the bathroom either.

rogerpa said:
From Kidde User Guide2. LOCATIONS TO AVOID

Smoke alarms should not be installed within 3 ft (.9m) of the following:

the door to a kitchen, the door to a bathroom containing a tub or shower,

forced air supply ducts used for heating or cooling,

ceiling or whole house ventilating fans, or other high air flow

areas.

I read this to say, not IN the bathroom either.
""""AVOID"""

The problem is the section needs some rework

say you had a two story three thousand sq ft per floor house

all the bedrooms on the second floor

So code requires one smoke alarm per floor

so you put one smoke alarm on the first floor

One smoke alarm covering 3000 sq ft??? no problem there huh

Master bedroom has a door into the living room and another into a hall.
Which one has a higher ceiling?

The purpose of the smoke detector is to detect smoke. It's location should be determined by where it will function the best in the event of a fire.

mark handler said:
NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION NFPA 72

11.5.1......outside of each separate dwelling unit sleeping area, within 21ft of any door to a sleeping room, the distance measured along a path of travel.

So is the outside POT to the bedrooms two entrances within 21 ft??
Actually from that wording I would think that you could ahve a POT that is 41 feet maximum with a single detector placed in the middle?

mtlogcabin said:
Which one has a higher ceiling?The purpose of the smoke detector is to detect smoke. It's location should be determined by where it will function the best in the event of a fire.
And if the two doors empty into two different parts of the house ??

Say one into a living room and one into the man cave??

JPohling said:
Actually from that wording I would think that you could ahve a POT that is 41 feet maximum with a single detector placed in the middle?
Yep ........

chris kennedy said:
If a bedroom has two doors, is a smoke alarm required outside of each door?Thanks
As they say since it is football season

"You make the call"

chris kennedy said:
If a bedroom has two doors, is a smoke alarm required outside of each door?Thanks
As they say since it is football season

"You make the call"

JPohling said:
There is other verbiage that requires them to be in close proximity to the bedroom door. 41 feet, IMHO is not in close proximity.

mark handler said:
There is other verbiage that requires them to be in close proximity to the bedroom door. 41 feet, IMHO is not in close proximity.
Actually 42 feet

Have not read that entire section

What he is saying

Detector in the middle covers 21 feet on each side.

That is normally a semi narrow corridor/ hallway