• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

smoke alarms

jwelectric

Silver Member
In a two bedroom apartment there is one alarm in each bedroom and one unit on the outside of the two bedrooms. The bedrooms are separated by the distance of about 20 feet. The electrical contractor is saying that as long as the outside alarm is within ten feet of each bedroom it meets the building code.

What say each and every one of you? What I am seeing is On the ceiling or wall outside of each separate

sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedrooms.

Most cover 15 feet on center

Problem with the Irc it does not really say much about spacing

Just says on each level, bedrooms and outside

Sometimes depends on what the ceiling looks like also

cda said:
Oh yea, just two many scenarios, to give a general answer
We never have the full story, that's why i require plans even with window change-outs.....That way I can show them where to install the SM/CM detectors