• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smoke Detector poll

Smoke Detector poll

• 100% to the letter and to the fullest extent we can.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Willing to compromise and work with the homeowner/contractor. Something is better than nothing.

• Battery operated units work just fine and/or just one in the halls and each floor

• What is section 313?

• Total voters

rktect 1

Gold Member
Looking to see how people who work for cities/villages/municipalities are handling section 313 if I post an anonymous manner in which to poll them.

So how does your village/city enforce section 313, smoke detectors, with anything other than a BRAND NEW single family residence? Talking additions or addition of one outlet to a wall or new plumbing fixture. Anything that triggers section 313.

Last edited by a moderator:
I replied 100%, but I did want to comment we will flex a bit if it would involve removing building finish to hardwire/inter-connect.

Question on the poll though. What is there other than a single family residence thay is not in the IRC? Duplex but still SFR....

This is where I firmly believe, if they ain't touching anything in the existing, then leave it alone. We would however require battery operated smoke detectors for coverage..... I believe that meets or exceeds the intent of the code especially looking at exisitng structures......Any alterations (to the point of sheetrock removal) and additions would have to be hardwaired w/ battery backup --- but would not neccessarily be required to connect to the smokes in the existing (unless they were already interconnected)

What is not brand new SFR?

Add one outlet to a wall in the existing homes kitchen. Triggers a permit. Permit requires section 313 to be enforced.

Or do some plumbing work to your existing powder room where you change faucets and sink. Triggers permit. Permit requires section 313 to be enforced.

We also have a retrofit ordinance requiring smoke detectors in all R sleeping units and common area fire alarms in certain multifamily and transient sleeping facilities. Multifamly and transient was required to be installed by October 1, 1985.

Single family retrofit deadline is triggered when sold or rented to another person.

Retrofit units can be battery operated and require at a minimum outside of bedrooms and one on each level for dwelling units and in hotel/motel sleeping rooms.

All codes have finally met to require inside and out as previously mentioned. The electrical bible and all formal interps also require them on AFCI with secondary backup :)

Common sense goes a long way in determining to what extent the remodel requires installation of smoke detectors. The exceptions in R313.2.1 of the 2006 IRC gives a reasonable means to exclude minor projects from full blown compliance for detectors. To require detectors in the examples given by rktect 1 is crazy talk.

Min&Max said:
Common sense goes a long way in determining to what extent the remodel requires installation of smoke detectors. The exceptions in R313.2.1 of the 2006 IRC gives a reasonable means to exclude minor projects from full blown compliance for detectors. To require detectors in the examples given by rktect 1 is crazy talk.
It's pretty clear. Common sense dictates the two scenarios I described require upgrading the house. If you are actually aplying this code section.

Exception #1 Inter connection and hard-wiring of smoke alarms in existing areas shall not be required where the alterations or repairs do not result in the removal of interior wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure UNLESS there is an attic, crawl space or basement available which could provide access for hard wiring and inter connection without the removal of interior finishes.

It's very straight foreward.

Got an attic? yes Got a basement? yes Got a Crawl space? yes

Want one outlet in the powder room?

Require one permit and don't forget the smokes while you are at it?

Which is exactly why I started this poll so I do appreciate you posting your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I apply it 100% as written in 2009 IRC (I think it has changed to section 314, and some exceptions added)

With a all or nothing attitude/policy you are seeing only a fraction of what you could/should be seeing. Homeowners/contractors will not get permits if you turn a simple $100.00 project into a $500.00+ ***-kicking. Believe what you want, but your citizens are less safe because of draconian all or nothing attitude/policy.

incognito said:
With a all or nothing attitude/policy you are seeing only a fraction of what you could/should be seeing. Homeowners/contractors will not get permits if you turn a simple $100.00 project into a $500.00+ ***-kicking. Believe what you want, but your citizens are less safe because of draconian all or nothing attitude/policy.
right, but your example (in my experience) is the 1 in 500 situation. Wonder when the last time I saw a $100 job (permit or not!). Clearly we all use a bit of judgement, however 99% of jobs that kick in this requirement are several thousand dollar+ WANT jobs, not NEED jobs.

Your point is well taken and in a global way I agree and keep that in mind.

I answered 100%, but need to question...What code addition are you using 2006 IRC section 313 is smokes 2009 IRC section 313 is sprinklers? I assumed 2006? Just a note... PA exempted interior work from the permit process unless it involves structural. So we don't have the chance to enforce on many remodels.

docgj

I believe provision AJ604.1 for existing buildings was added to get older homes retrofitted with modern smoke alarm systems. Theoretically there are way more existing homes than newly built, thus we can provide increased life safety where it is sorely needed.

So I answered 100%, and battery operated smokes are acceptable as noted below:

AJ604.1 Smoke alarms. When interior alterations occur, or when one or more sleeping rooms are added or created in existing dwellings, the individual dwelling unit shall be provided with smoke alarms located as required for new dwellings; the smoke alarms shall be interconnected and hard wired.

Exception: In other than bed and breakfast dwellings, smoke alarms in existing areas shall not be required to be interconnected and hard wired where interior wall or ceiling finishes are not removed to expose the structure.

At one time the attitude in this community was to have a very narrow interpretation of the building code. The building safety department was universally despised and hated---and no one took out permits unless it was a front yard project or new structure. Even had electrical panals replaced "hot" to avoid having the inspections done. By re-evaluating our interpretation of the building code and replacing personal, we have increased the number of permits we issue across the board and had access to many more homes. Do not make the mistake of believing your community is "safer" because you have narrow interpretations of the code.

I voted for 100% enforcement of course. I checked; and my opinion and/or personal druthers are not an amendment to the codes.

There were some backlashs to the requirements of this section of the 2006 IRC, R313; and the 2009 IRC, R314 exempted all plumbing and mechanical systems;

"Exemptions:

2. Installation, alteration or repairs of plumbing or mechanical systems are exempt from the requirements of this section. "

Keep in mind that States can amend this out; and in some States the local AHJ can amend this out.

Get the special interests and manufacturers out the code writing process.

Uncle Bob

Despite the surface bravado of some inspectors, no inspector enforces the codes (in totality) to 100 percent.

I would love to debate any inspector who thinks he/she enforces the codes to 100 percent.

It would be a short debate.

High Desert said:
I don't know why anyone would not require the 100% provisions on a life/safety system.
From what I just read, it appears that ICC just reduced a life/safety system per the exception shown in the 2009 IRC compared to 2006.

I didn't know this and may ask the building commissioner to amend our adopted code to read the same.

packsaddle said:
Despite the surface bravado of some inspectors, no inspector enforces the codes (in totality) to 100 percent.I would love to debate any inspector who thinks he/she enforces the codes to 100 percent.

It would be a short debate.
Let's assume that I meant as close to 100% as absolutly possible within reason and having a margin or error of +/-5%

Right now the poll indicates that 67% of us are enforcing section 313 of the 2006 IRC to it's fullest. Maybe some of you are doing 2009 IRC to it's fullest.

The reason I really started this was to see if what inspectors and AHJ's tell me they are doing versus what contractors tell me they are being required to do. Since this village went to the 100% enforcment policy on this issue, pretty much a day does not go by where someone calls me and states the standard "other villages don't require this" or "is this something new?, I haven't heard of it" or "other villages only make us put in battery powered smokes" or similar.

So it really got me thinking about it. It took me in the direction of following the money. Who stands to benefit from this? Outside of the manufacturers, I would say either the contractor or the electricians, right? So if this requirement is supposed to be enforced 100%, why didn't I get more calls from electricians demanding I enforce this section so that they could easily make more money? I never got that call, not once. If anybody had a stake in this it was them and they don't seem to think it's worth mentioning when a village does not enforce it. And lets face it, in this economy, when you have an adopted code that says "do it" the electricians only stand to gain, yet no calls from them. The general contractors on the other hand keep calling me to complain. When they get done they then have the homeowner complain.

It has led me to believe that more villages do not enforce this section to 100%. So like I said I wanted to see what was what. So far 67% say yes, 28% say compromise. And nobody has chosen that battery operated work just fine even though contractors seem to be under the impression more villages allow this.

rktect 1 said:
Let's assume that I meant as close to 100% as absolutly possible within reason and having a margin or error of +/-5%
I would assume the above when answering the question. There isn't anything in life that is truely 100%, that is a "reach for" number.

"Despite the surface bravado of some inspectors, no inspector enforces the codes (in totality) to 100 percent."

I agree.......we all have some wiggle room, sometimes. Pick your battles.