• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

smoke detector spacing

cda

Sawhorse 123
Looking for system smoke detector spacing requirements for thirty foot level

nfpa 72??

missing it if it is there.

I think you're venturing into the realm of designed protection vs prescriptive. These may be some applicable sections (per 2002 72):

5.4.4 Initiating devices shall be installed in a manner that provides accessibility for periodic maintenance.

5.7.1.4 The prescriptive requirements in this section shall be applied only where detectors are installed in ordinary indoor locations.

5.7.1.7 The selection and placement of smoke detectors shall take into account both the performance characteristics of the detector and the areas into which the detectors are to be installed to prevent nuisance alarms or improper operation after installation.

5.7.1.10 The effect of stratification below the ceiling shall be taken into account. The guidelines in Annex B shall be permitted to be used.

The question I would ask before getting to spacing (you may have already asked it):

--are smoke detectors mounted 30' above the floor accessible? Probably so in a warehouse situation where they have lifts. Not so, imho, in a typical office building with a stair tower or a tall atrium. This is an AHJ decision. If not accessible, maybe beam-type is a better solution.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer. I would look at the type of hazard, potential fire sources, exposures, etc. Have the plans stamped and signed by an engineer, if they are not already. If you have a stamped set and are verifying location, ask them to provide manufacturers instructions or documentation per Annex B to substantiate the design.