• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

smoke detectors

rktect 1 said:
NEW QUESTION but related.On these small projects that come in on an 8.5x11 bathroom or kitchen remodels, do you guys ever try to figure out if what you are looking at is regulated under the IBC instead of the IRC? Multi-family housing resembling a townhouse? IBC does not seem to have the language the IRC has requireing upgrading the smoke detectors for remodels, alterations etc.
bump

rktect1

IRC2006 R313 is enforced on the one and two family dwellings. And I have had a couple $60,000. kitchen remods, they handled the smoke detector requirement when the walls were open with no issues. Had a basement garage drywall tear off due to a water leak and they removed drywall in a main floor closet, hardwired smokes kicked in because they can get to the attic from the basment and utilize the closet to run NM to the attic. Keep in mind detectors can be installed on walls if possible.

pc1

PC inspector: big change in 2009 actually: hardwired interconnected smokes whenever a permit (except for exterior work only) required as if it was a new structure.. if I'm recalling my significant changes correctly... of course, I loaned them out yesterday...