• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smoke Protecting Assembly Spaces

JmanNo1

I am currently designing a new Cafeteria/Auditorium (Cafetorium?) building for a local high school. The dining hall will double as an assembly space to view performances by the various school clubs and general student body. I've seen in both the IBC and the NFPA 101 the mention of Smoke Protecting the seating area, but I have yet to see where either of these codes requires this space to be smoke protected. Also in addition to this the NFPA 101 has different requirements for the stage and accessory space depending on how I classify the performance area. (Stage or Platform?) I would like to classify the raised performance area as a Platform so that fireproofing of the proscenium wall (2 hour) and all the walls separating the accessory spaces (1 hour) will not be needed. Is there a place in the NFPA that strictly sets the line between what the stage and platform is? All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Stage defined in IBC .... if not a stage, then it is a platform...... both are defined in the code. IBC section 410.. Pay close attention to the wording of 410.3.... it states something along the line of all the following items must be included to be considered a stage ( 410.3.1 through 410.3.8), if you don't ; then you have a platform.....

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok please help

Which code is this required to be designed to otherwise it will end up looking like a duck bill platypus !!!

Smoke protected seating should not be required.

Decide if there will be a true stage with fly and everything or just a raised area for someone to stand on

you are talking about an E use group, it seem to me all the spaces are considered part to the E Group and therefore you do no have to meet the separate spaces provision except for exiting or if locally amended proscenium stages which is defined

SECTION 305

EDUCATIONAL GROUP E

305.1 Educational Group E. Educational Group E occupancy

includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a

portion thereof, by six or more persons at any one time for

educational purposes through the 12th grade. Religious educational

rooms and religious auditoriums, which are accessory to

places of religious worship in accordance with Section 303.1

and have occupant loads of less than 100, shall be classified as

A-3 occupancies.

SECTION 410

STAGES AND PLATFORMS

410.1 Applicability. The provisions of Sections 410.1 through

410.7 shall apply to all parts of buildings and structures that

contain stages or platforms and similar appurtenances as herein

defined.

PLATFORM. A raised area within a building used for worship,

the presentation of music, plays or other entertainment;

the head table for special guests; the raised area for lecturers

and speakers; boxing and wrestling rings; theater-in-the-round

stages; and similar purposes wherein there are no overhead

hanging curtains, drops, scenery or stage effects other than

lighting and sound. A temporary platform is one installed for

not more than 30 days

STAGE. A space within a building utilized for entertainment

or presentations, which includes overhead hanging curtains,

drops, scenery or stage effects other than lighting and sound.