• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smoke sealing a fire damper

base.v5

I have a fire damper being installed in a 2-Hr fire barrier. The company gives a separate, optional instruction sheet for smoke sealing the penetration if the AHJ requires it. I remember that NFPA 101 states that fire barriers should resist the passage of smoke, but I don't find that requirement in the IBC (this building does not fall under 101). Thoughts about requiring the optional smoke sealing?

( - - - )

Does the 2 hr. rated assembly have a detail listing the sealing

of any penetrations ?

What does the AHJ require ?

( - - - )

2hr is a separation is for a shaft.

The damper manufacturer lists the smoke sealing as optional and not part of the UL listed fire resistance assembly.

Everything I have read in 714 (2012 IBC) simply talks about fire resistance unless it is a smoke partition. I am the AHJ and I won't require the smoke sealing unless I have a code reference stating that it is required.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. The smoke damper will be installed as part of the HVAC system and I will have the fire damper penetration smoke sealed.