• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

SOFTWARE UPDATE AGAIN and an update from me

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Some time early this week, maybe even today, we will have YET another software update. If you find the site unavailable or extremely slow, this is why.

This is a last ditch effort to see if the update will fix the slow response times that we have been getting complaints about over the past few weeks. We need to make sure that all options are looked at before I go through the expense of moving to a faster server. A decision I will not take lightly.

Therefore:

If we need to move to another server, I will more than likely take "donations" to the site via Paypal to cover the increased cost. Right now as everyone knows, I am footing the bill for this site 100% without a problem but a faster server comes at a steeper price.

If the money starts to run dry from the donations (if we do that) and cannot keep up with the increased costs of the server, I will be forced to seek advertising, something that is not popular with the members of this board but realize, once I make a commitment to a faster server (if we need it) then I am the one financially responsible. I will have to do what I have to do. This is not about profit, just covering expenses.

If this has to happen and donations exceed expense, we will use the money for some fancy upgrades, site maintenance or maybe I will take a vacation.........:?

Anyway, have some patience.

Coug Dad said:
Any idea of the magnitude of cost for the faster server?
It can vary greatly depending on the amount of traffic you are set up for and the amount of bandwidth you need from the traffic and photos, etc.

Probably start at an increased amount of $200 per month.

brudgers said:
How many hits per day is the site seeing?
we were at about 500 visits per day which increased to about 1000 in the past month or so.

Our page views is up to about 20,000 per day m-f

weekends we are much lower.

I know some people experienced in this sort of thing, I'll ask around for suggestions.

Jeff..hitting the site right now on my android...not bad for speed..if you need to jump up...most of the regulars will be more than happy to pony up...I am on onboard for it myself. ...

OK, getting down to the nitty gritty and having a server spec'd out based on our current situation and track record for growth. I will be letting everyone know what the situation is soon.

While attempting to tread lightly given all of the time and effort personally invested by Jeff, if/when we go to a user-supported site, I would support a move to independent domain and hosting (either completely free from advertising or open for other enterprises in addition to Advanced Code Group).

AegisFPE said:
While attempting to tread lightly given all of the time and effort personally invested by Jeff, if/when we go to a user-supported site, I would support a move to independent domain and hosting (either completely free from advertising or open for other enterprises in addition to Advanced Code Group).
Something I wanted to do from the beginning but with the last minute notice from the ICC when this was created, it did not happen. Now that we are established for over a year, the move to total independence will come at a significant cost as we are now established with search engines and links from other websites. All of this will be lost with a change in web address. I would have to keep my site address up as a redirect for the new site but all of the links to specific threads and info would be lost. It would be like starting all over from scratch. At this point I will be holding on to this as I have lots of time, effort and money into this message board.

I think Mule is kidding, but to look at it a little more seriously, I'd like see there only be one message board and that it is independent from ICC, but still having links from ICC (so that first time guy with a question can find us). Jeff is doing a great job and the speed is not a big issue with me (it's a little slow at times), so I'm not an advocate that something has to be done. But if something new were to be done such as a new domain and server wouldn't it be great if the ICC bought into the concept and helped finance it? I figure they wouldn't go for it (and Jeff may not either), it's just the ideal situation in my opinion.

Jeff,

Is there a way we can donate without using paypal?

This forum is a valuable tool and I want to see it continue.

docgj

I'd be more than willing to dontate - this place is a valuable resource!

Jeff - a suggestion: place a "dontate here" button on the front page of the forum. The easier you make the donation process, the more it will happen. The dontate button could link to a short explaination as to why it is important to keep this place up and running, without advertisement, and without corporate ties.

I will work on that idea. I have to pay the IT people to do it and they are very busy right now preparing for the transfer (hopefully this weekend). There is a lot involved in this process.

Thanks again,

Jeff