• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Some IBC 2009 questions (MA)

arch_06

I was wondering what you thought about the use classification for these small 1-story, wood-framed (Type 5B) buildings under IBC 2009.

1. An 850 sf building with 600sf of restrooms w/ changing rooms and a 240sf lounge room. Would a "restroom building" be A occupancy?

2. A 440sf snack shack kitchen building with a 750sf cantilevered roof deck above (accessed via exterior stairs). Also a 110sf office on 1st floor. Would I need to have a fire-rated ceiling separation between the roof deck and the kitchen?

3. In terms of proximity to an existing wood-ramed building within the same complex, I am trying to determine the right distance so that I can avoid fire-rated exterior walls. I currently have 15' bldg-bldg, but is the distance in code to an imaginary interior lot line? I can live with the opening restrictions, but trying to avoid a fire-rate exterior wall.

Thanks for your help.

Wood-framed,Type 5B buildings under IBC 2009, ar a good thing

850 sf building with 600sf of restrooms w/ changing rooms and a 240sf lounge room. Would be B occupancy

snack shack Would not need to have a fire-rated ceiling

What is a wood-ramed building ?

mark handler said:
What is a wood-ramed building ?
I believe it a norse term used to describe an embattlement or fortified structure capable of resisting a wooden battering ram....but I could be wrong on this one.

I currently have 15' bldg-bldg, but is the distance in code to an imaginary interior lot line? I can live with the opening restrictions, but trying to avoid a fire-rate exterior wall.
You may be able to use 503.1.2 Buildings on the same lot and avoid the imaginary lot line

Meant wood-(f)ramed...

Bgingras: Yes - new construction. Got a waiver from the Access Board for the roof deck.

What do you think about the building to building distance issue?

Thanks mtlogcabin. I'm interpreting that section to mean that the 2 buildings on the same lot can be considered as a single building if both comply with the height/area on Table 503.

arch_06 said:
Thanks mtlogcabin. I'm interpreting that section to mean that the 2 buildings on the same lot can be considered as a single building if both comply with the height/area on Table 503.
That is correct

arch_06 said:
... 1. An 850 sf building with 600sf of restrooms w/ changing rooms and a 240sf lounge room. Would a "restroom building" be A occupancy?...
Compare two descriptions:

... includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for office, professional or service-type transactions, including storage of records and accounts. ...
Buildings and structures of an accessory character and miscellaneous structures not classified in any specific occupancy shall be constructed, equipped and maintained to conform to the requirements of this code ...
Which one do you think applies?

Granted, you are making deposits in the restrooms.

mtlogcabin said:
That is correct
That is interesting, I have never heard of that before. I was always told to use the imaginary lot line. Learned something new today. Now I can go on vacation. Thanks MT for sending me off on a good note!

Is it at a school? Maybe an E...maybe an A.... depends on alot of other factors...it sounds accessory, but do you have 100 people waiting in them?

It sounds to me like there is a 750 square foot roof deck above, accessed by a single stair. It further sounds to me like the roof deck above is used as a dining area.

1st issue) 750 square feet divided by 15 is = to 50 occupants

2nd issue) 50 occupants of a dining area = A-2

3rd issue) 50 occupants requires 2 exits

4th issue) A-2 occupancies cannot be placed above the 1st floor on V-B type of construction

What am I missing?

mtlogcabin said:
You may be able to use 503.1.2 Buildings on the same lot and avoid the imaginary lot line
Just re-learned this in my Steve Thomas class last week. After that and this thread, it should be firmly ingrained in the noggin...forever.