• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Spa disconnect.

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
I have a question about this section in 2018 IRC for spas

E4203.3 Disconnecting means. One or more means to
simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors for all
utilization equipment, other than lighting, shall be provided.
Each of such means shall be readily accessible and within
sight from the equipment it serves and shall be located at least
5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool,
spa, or hot tub unless separated from the open water by a permanently
installed barrier that provides a 5-foot (1524 mm)
or greater reach path. This horizontal distance shall be measured
from the water’s edge along the shortest path required
to reach the disconnect. (680.13)

I was inspecting a spa yesterday. The outside spa disconnect was around the corner of the house. You could see the disconnect from the working space in front of the spa where a person would be working on the electrical connections and pump but not from the spa itself. If you were in the spa you would have to lean out of the spa on one end to see the disconnect. I’m not sure if this is correct. I aways thought that the code wanted anyone in the spa to be able to see the disconnect. One of the definitions of “equipment” is an appliance. I would think the spa is an appliance. Would the disconnect need to be insight of the whole appliance or just the working space?

Sometimes a spa has a second pump on the other side of the spa from the main pump and electrical connections. Would this change anything?

The code says the disconnect can be behind a permanently installed barrier. Does this mean if the disconnect can behind a wall and not withing sight as long as the wall is at least 5’ away?

I have a question about this section in 2018 IRC for spas

E4203.3 Disconnecting means. One or more means to
simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors for all
utilization equipment, other than lighting, shall be provided.
Each of such means shall be readily accessible and within
sight from the equipment it serves and shall be located at least
5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool,
spa, or hot tub unless separated from the open water by a permanently
installed barrier that provides a 5-foot (1524 mm)
or greater reach path. This horizontal distance shall be measured
from the water’s edge along the shortest path required
to reach the disconnect. (680.13)

I was inspecting a spa yesterday. The outside spa disconnect was around the corner of the house. You could see the disconnect from the working space in front of the spa where a person would be working on the electrical connections and pump but not from the spa itself. If you were in the spa you would have to lean out of the spa on one end to see the disconnect. I’m not sure if this is correct. I aways thought that the code wanted anyone in the spa to be able to see the disconnect. One of the definitions of “equipment” is an appliance. I would think the spa is an appliance. Would the disconnect need to be insight of the whole appliance or just the working space?

Sometimes a spa has a second pump on the other side of the spa from the main pump and electrical connections. Would this change anything?

The code says the disconnect can be behind a permanently installed barrier. Does this mean if the disconnect can behind a wall and not withing sight as long as the wall is at least 5’ away?
The disconnect only needs to be within sight of the equipment being worked on and not necessarily the spa itself.

So you mean if the disconnect is on the opposite side of the spa from the electrical equipment and is in site of the spa but not the equipment in the spa this would be a violation?

It seems odd that the code only allows the disconnect to not be in sight if there is a permanent barrier, but it does require it to be in sight when there is no permanent barrier between the spa and the disconnect. Why would it make a difference if a barrier is permanent or not? If the barrier was not permanent and removed, then the disconnect would automatically be in sight.

So you mean if the disconnect is on the opposite side of the spa from the electrical equipment and is in site of the spa but not the equipment in the spa this would be a violation?

It seems odd that the code only allows the disconnect to not be in sight if there is a permanent barrier, but it does require it to be in sight when there is no permanent barrier between the spa and the disconnect. Why would it make a difference if a barrier is permanent or not? If the barrier was not permanent and removed, then the disconnect would automatically be in sight.
I think you are making this way more complicated than it is. The code says the disconnect must be within sight of the electrical equipment it services and has nothing to do with the spa. Are you getting this confused with emergency shutdown switches for hot tubs?

No I am serious. This would make a big difference for my inspections. I want to get it straight. They are mounting the disconnect at all kinds of places. Sometime on a deck that has no stairs down to the spa on the ground and you can only see if by standing on the top step that on in the spa. Sometimes they mount it out of sight around the corner of a house. Is that allowed because the wall of the house is a permanent barrier? But they are not allowed to put the disconnect behind a temporary barrier? One inspector told me they could have the disconnect out of sight if it is lockable, don't see this in this section.
If the disconnect is mounted where it is in sight of the spa but not the equipment in the spa would this be a violation?

That code section is from the electrical code and is there to protect the electrician.

Scenario: Electrician needs to make a minor repair. He disconnects power and is elbow deep into it. Maintenance guy is doing his rounds and notices the disconnect and thinks it's his job to reconnect it. 240V kills the electrician.

If that disconnect was in line of site the electrician would see someone approaching and have the opportunity to say "Hey, I'm working here" and or let go of the wires. If that disconnect is around a corner he would have no warning and no way to protect himself. That above scenario is not hypothetical, apparently it happens a lot. The two ways to protect the electrician is a local disconnect, or a "lock-out, tag-out" procedure. In many industrial applications a local disconnect for every machine would not be practical.

You have referenced residential code and I do not have that. I have referenced 2020 NEC which you might not enforce.

680.13 Maintenance Disconnecting Means. One or more means to simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment and shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool, spa, fountain, or hot tub unless separated from the open water by a permanently installed barrier that provides a 1.5 m (5 ft) reach path or greater. This horizontal distance shall be measured from the water's edge along the shortest path required to reach the disconnect.

It seems odd that the code only allows the disconnect to not be in sight if there is a permanent barrier, but it does require it to be in sight when there is no permanent barrier between the spa and the disconnect.
The barrier is between the disconnect and the inside walls of a pool, spa, fountain, or hot tub… not between the equipment and the disconnect. The disconnect will always be within sight of the equipment. The code section applies to a pool, spa, fountain, or hot tub but specifically to the equipment for those. Obviously a permanent barrier is not practical with a spa or hot tub if the equipment is an integral component of the spa or hot tub because the disconnect shall be within sight. With an in-ground spa, the equipment could be a foot away from the spa with a five foot tall wall between the equipment/disconnect and the water.

The bottom line is that if there is a spa, there will be a disconnect not less than five feet from the inside wall of the spa and the disconnect will be within sight from the equipment. You mentioned standing on a step to see the disconnect… not allowed, I need to see the disconnect while standing, sitting, kneeling… right side up or upside down. As to a lockable disconnect, that‘s a good idea that’s not an exception to the code, so no is the answer. It’s really not complicated.

Last edited:
Obviously an opaque permanent barrier is not practical with a spa or hot tub if the equipment is an integral component of the spa or hot tub because the disconnect shall be within sight.
Fixed it for you. : - )

Cheers, Wayne

The section is confusing to me. A barrier can be a wall. The section makes it sound like it does not need to be in sight if the disconnect is behind a wall. I think it could be written better.
Of course the code does not say why. Me thinking that the people in the spa need to see the disconnect in case they need it to turn it off.

Sometimes there is electrical equipment on opposite sides inside a spa. Hard to place a disconnect so it could be seen from inside both equipment spaces in the spa.