• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Spa emergency shut off switch

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Does any one know know why an exception is here for residential spas in the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code, while The IRC requires does Emergency a shut off switch for spas?:

2015 ISPSC 313.7 Emergency shutoff switch. An emergency shutoff switch shall be provided to disconnect power to recirculation and jet system pumps and air blowers. Emergency shutoff switches shall be: provided with access; located within sight of the pool or spa; and located not less than 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from the inside walls of the pool or spa.
Exception: Onground storable pools, permanent inground residential swimming pools, residential spas and residential water features

2015 IRC E4208.4 Emergency switch for spas and hot tubs. A clearly labeled emergency shutoff or control switch for the purpose of stopping the motor(s) that provides power to the recirculation system and jet system shall be installed at a point that is readily accessible to the users, adjacent to and within sight of the spa or hot tub and not less than 5 feet (1524 mm) away from the spa or hot tub. This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings.

So I guess you go by the strickest?

I would think this to mean only the single family meets the exception, not other residential occupancies.

This ought to be an interesting discussion....What does the NEC consider as a "single family dwelling"? Remember that the IRC covers One and Two Family Dwellings and Townhouses.....

This ought to be an interesting discussion....What does the NEC consider as a "single family dwelling"? Remember that the IRC covers One and Two Family Dwellings and Townhouses.....

NEC definition
Dwelling, One-Family. A building that consists solely of one dwelling unit.

ISPSC definition
RESIDENTIAL. For purposes of this code, residential
applies to detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses
not more than three stories in height.

emergency shutoff switch for a spa:

IRC requires it for all detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories in height.

ISPSI does not require it for detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories in height.

NEC does not require it for a single family dwellings but does require it for two family dwellings and town houses.

My 2012IRC, E4208.4 last sentence sez: This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings.

This leads me to believe that TWO-family dwellings require an ESO.