• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)with No Base Flood Elevation (BFE) Declared

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Since this is not an issue where I am because 100% of the island I am on is in 2 different SFHA from top to bottom, I was wondering how those of you that have buildings in the SFHA but without a study that determined the BFE. How does this process work for you?

Beware, too, that even though a BFE may have been determined by a local engineer based on FEMA's published report and graphs, FEMA may determine that a property's BFE is not the same. Per one of my previous posts we had this happen at a property where the original EoR used FEMA's graphs (nice thick lines at about 5pt!) to set the FF of the building; however, when the owner submitted a LOMA (or was it LOMR .. don't recall) 10 years later FEMA determined that the FF was 4/10 of an inch BELOW the BFE and was STILL in the floodplain.

Beware, too, that even though a BFE may have been determined by a local engineer based on FEMA's published report and graphs, FEMA may determine that a property's BFE is not the same. Per one of my previous posts we had this happen at a property where the original EoR used FEMA's graphs (nice thick lines at about 5pt!) to set the FF of the building; however, when the owner submitted a LOMA (or was it LOMR .. don't recall) 10 years later FEMA determined that the FF was 4/10 of an inch BELOW the BFE and was STILL in the floodplain.
I can certainly see that happening. I am fortunate that the entire town is in the SFHA and all BFEs are in place for VE and AE zones.