• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Spill Control Containment per 2015 IFC 5004.2.1

Morphdesigns

Sawhorse
Thank you all for the comments you have made on my other post in this forum.
Here is a 2nd question for all of you gurus.

For this project, I have 3 rooms that require spill control and containment. A Mixing rm, a Distiller room, and a Storage rm. Per IFC, I need to provide containment for 20 min. of sprinkler going off + largest container size. Each one of these rooms require a 25,000 gal containment.
The original method I was designing is a room containment, which is the thread I started before. Each room would need to be designed to hold 25k gal of water.
After a discussion with the builder, we are looking at other options. Per 5004.2.1, another method available for containment is to provide drains to a remote collection tank. If I do an tank, do I need a tank for each one of these rooms, so (3) 25,000 gal tanks, or do I just need (1) 25,000 gal tank because only 1 or the other room sprinkler heads would be going off, not both at the same time. Plus these rooms are separated by a 2 or 3 hr fire resistive cmu wall.

I have discussed this with our design-build sprinkler company we are using for this project, and they agree that only 1 tank is required, from their interpretation of the code. I just would like to make sure if others have done a project similar and give their opinion.

Thank you all.