• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Spot HRV distance from openable portion of window

rossn

I am installing some Lunos e2 Spot HRVs in a residence - they alternate between pushing and pulling of air out/in the home. Do I understand correctly that these must adhere to IRC M1506.3 “Air exhaust openings shall terminate not less than…; 3 feet from operable and nonoperable openings into the building…”?

If so, and there is a ’slider’ type window, is the requirement 3’ from the openable portion of the window, or the entire window? I wasn’t clear about ‘operable and *nonoperable* openings’.

Will code allow an extension outside the home to make the 3’?

For the purposes of the mechanical code, the fixed portion of a window is not an opening into the building.

Ok, thanks ICE - that is very helpful! I have one of the HRV holes cored in the brick next to a 3-section window that has a casement on each end with a fixed window in the center. Is it technically possible to make one of these casement windows 'fixed'?