• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

spray booth question, but building code related

cda

Sawhorse 123
since a pre fab spray booth is not an "H" occupancy, is there a square foot size, that would require two doors out of one???

IFC 2003

1504.1.2.4 Means of egress. Means of egress shall be

provided in accordance with Chapter 10.

Exception: Means of egress doors from

premanufactured spray booths shall not be less than

30 inches (762 mm) in width by 80 inches (2032 mm)

in height.

2006 IFC, I think it may be section 1014.1 in 2003 IFC if memory serves me right................

1015.1 Exit or exit access doorways required. Two exits or

exit access doorways from any space shall be provided where

one of the following conditions exists:

1. The occupant load of the space exceeds the values in

Table 1015.1.

2. The common path of egress travel exceeds the limitations

of Section 1014.3.

3. Where required by Sections 1015.3, 1015.4 and 1015.5.

Exception: Group I-2 occupancies shall comply with Section

TABLE 1015.1

SPACES WITH ONE MEANS OF EGRESS

OCCUPANCY MAXIMUM OCCUPANT LOAD

A, B, Ea, F, M, U 49

H-1, H-2, H-3 3

H-4, H-5, I-1, I-3, I-4, R 10

S 29

a. Day - Spaces with one exit.....

A spray booth is an appliance and I've never classified a spray booth as a Group H-2 occupancy. I have classified spray rooms as H-2s when the amount in storage exceeds the MAQ.

For the purposes of M.O.E., I classify spray booths as Industrial Spaces under the "Function of Space" provision in 2009 IFC Table 1004.1.1, which equates to an occupant load of 100 square feet gross/person. Applying Table 1015.1, a second exit access opening wouldn't be required until 49 people could occupy the booth. I've never seen more than 5 people in a booth at any one time and I've never seen 49, even in an educational setting.