• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

sprinkle or not sprinkle

Vlab20

Bronze Member
Existing building is 18,000 SF Church, Assembly-3, Type 5 construction, NOT sprinklered.

Extent of new work: approximately 1500 SF of raising the roof/structure of the church lobby.

Current building code: IBC 2009 Wisconsin version.

Is this work considered an addition? Would this constitute having to ADD a sprinkler system to the whole building?

per IEBC 2006 (current Wisconsin existing building code) this looks like a Alteration level 2. and per 704.2.2 we need to meet all 3 conditions listed. We would not meet the 2nd condition of the work area exceeding 50% of the floor area.

The question I have is does physically raising a 1500 SF section of the building constitute an "addition" versus an alteration?

Thanks in advance!

704.2.2 Groups A, E, F-1, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1 and S-2.

In buildings with occupancies in Groups A, E, F-1, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1, and S-2, work areas that include exits or corridors shared by more than one tenant or that serve an occupant load greater than 30 shall be provided with automatic sprinkler protection where all of the following conditions occur:

1. The work area is required to be provided with automatic sprinkler protection in accordance with the International Building Code as applicable to new construction;

2. The work area exceeds 50 percent of the floor area; and

3. The building has sufficient municipal water supply for design of a fire sprinkler system available to the floor without installation of a new fire pump.

Are there exits and corridors in the work area that serve more than 30 people?

then all 3 conditions have to be met before sprinklers are required.

thanks mtlogcabin. yes, the lobby area we want to alter serves an occupant load in excess of 30 people.

1. if this was new construction we would be required to sprinkler.

2. the work area does NOT exceed 50% of the floor area

3. the bldg has sufficient municipal water

Item #2 is the condition we do not meet and thus it appears we do not need to sprinkle.

Question: Can this raising of the roof in the lobby be considered an "addition" and thus required to be sprinklered?

ADDITION. An extension or increase in floor area, number of stories, or HEIGHT of a building or structure.

1002.3 Fire protection systems. Existing fire areas increased by the addition shall comply with Chapter 9 of the International Building Code.

HEIGHT, BUILDING. The vertical distance from grade plane to the average height of the highest roof surface.

Raising a portion of a roof may not raise the height of the building. Just document everything and how you came to your decision especially if sprinklers are not required. By documentation I mean the average roof height calculation, existing and after the lobby area is raised and a code path to use the sections I quoted. Sometimes these things can come back to bite you in the distant future when our memories fade after so many projects and others that where in agreement with the path chosen are long gone.f

Steve

1002.3 is for increased fire areas. raising a roof does not increase the fire area as long as no additional floors are installed

FIRE AREA. The aggregate floor area enclosed and bounded by fire walls, fire barriers, exterior walls or fire-resistance-rated horizontal assemblies of a building.

CHAPTER 6

ALTERATIONS - LEVEL 2

SECTION 604.2.2

IEBC Interpretation No. 12-04

2003 Edition

Issued: 04-07-05

604.2.2 Groups A, E, F-1, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1, and S-2. In buildings with occupancies in Groups A, E, F-1, H, I, M, R-1,

R-2, R-4, S-1, and S-2, work areas that include exits or corridors shared by more than one tenant or that serve an occupant load greater

than 30 shall be provided with automatic sprinkler protection where all of the following conditions occur:

1. The work area is required to be provided with automatic sprinkler protection in accordance with the International Building

Code as applicable to new construction;

2. The work area exceeds 50 percent of the floor area; and

3. The building has sufficient municipal water supply for design of a fire sprinkler system available to the floor without

installation of a new fire pump.

Exception: Work areas in Group R occupancies three stories or less in height.

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GIVEN: Assume Level 2 alterations to an existing building that is not classified as a high-rise building. The building is

not a Group R occupancy. All the listed conditions, including Items 1 and 2, are applicable. The municipal water supply

for the building is sufficient for design of a fire sprinkler system to the floor containing the work area, without requiring theinstallation of a new fire pump.

Q1: Is a fire sprinkler system required to be provided to the work area if a new water service pipe is required to be

installed between the municipal water supply and the building?

A1: No. Section 604.2.2, condition 3 indicates that “the building has sufficient...”. Therefore it was not intended that new

water service pipes be installed from the water main to the building.

Q2: Is a fire sprinkler system required to be provided to the work area if a new water distribution pipe (or riser) is required

to be installed between the water service pipe and the work area?

A2: No. Sprinkler system will not be required if a new riser must be constructed to bring water from lower floors.

STAFF COMMENTARY: For both of these answers, please note that the language in Section 604.2.2 is distinctly different

from that found in Section 704.1.1 (Level 3 Alterations, high-rise buildings), where sprinklers will be required if the

municipal water main at the site has sufficient municipal water supply.

One of the main resource documents upon which the IEBC was based is the Nationally Applicable Recommended

Rehabilitation Provisions (NARRP). The origin of many of the IEBC Sections can be traced to similar provisions in the

NARRP. The NARRP does not require sprinkler systems in work areas for the level of construction called “Alterations”

(this is approximately the same level as IEBC Level 2 Alterations and is found in NARRP Chapter 5). Section 606.1 of

NARRP for the level called “Reconstruction” (approximately similar to Level 3 Alterations of IEBC), requires sprinkler

system, but provides an exception if “...an automatic water supply for sprinkler protection is not available at that floor, the

building official shall be perm itted to accept alternative protection”. A review of this history indicates the intent of the IEBC

drafting committee to require sprinkler system in Level 2 Alterations only if sufficient municipal water supply is available

at the floor under discussion.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 6 Level 2 alterations in the 2003 edition where moved to Chapter 7 in the 2006 edition. The opinion shuld be the same for all code editions with the same language.

It says without the installation of a new "pump"......not pipe.....not sure if I agree with that...To me "without requiring the installation of a new fire pump"...means there is sufficient water supply, not necessarily "to the building".

As to the OP, addition and alteration would apply....

2012 changed a little, it is an exception not a condition and automatic detection and notification was added

Exceptions:

1. Work areas in Group R occupancies three stories or less in height.

2. If the building does not have sufficient municipal water supply for design of a fire sprinkler system available to the floor without installation of a new fire pump, work areas shall be protected by an automatic smoke detection system throughout all occupiable spaces other than sleeping units or individual dwelling units that activates the occupant notification system in accordance with Sections 907.4, 907.5 and 907.6 of the International Building Code.

Steveray

I would agree with you on this one and not the committee interpretation.

No existing building has a water line large enough for a sprinkler system already piped to the building unless stand pipes where required during construction.

mtlogcabin said:
2012 changed a little, it is an exception not a condition and automatic detection and notification was addedExceptions:

1. Work areas in Group R occupancies three stories or less in height.

2. If the building does not have sufficient municipal water supply for design of a fire sprinkler system available to the floor without installation of a new fire pump, work areas shall be protected by an automatic smoke detection system throughout all occupiable spaces other than sleeping units or individual dwelling units that activates the occupant notification system in accordance with Sections 907.4, 907.5 and 907.6 of the International Building Code.

Steveray

I would agree with you on this one and not the committee interpretation.

No existing building has a water line large enough for a sprinkler system already piped to the building unless stand pipes where required during construction.
Are you saying the water line already needs to be piped to the building?

Or there is enough pressure and water at the main to have a complete sprinkler system installed ?

Q1: Is a fire sprinkler system required to be provided to the work area if a new water service pipe is required to be

installed between the municipal water supply and the building?

A1: No. Section 604.2.2, condition 3 indicates that “the building has sufficient...”. Therefore it was not intended that new

The committees interpretation, not mine, is the water has to already be available at the building.

The 2012 change seems good, at least until I get it used on a project and I realize they don't have to sprinkler a building I think they should... :) ....We are giving away the store on commercial sprinklers and jamming them down homeowners throats....Off soapbox....

mtlogcabin said:
Q1: Is a fire sprinkler system required to be provided to the work area if a new water service pipe is required to beinstalled between the municipal water supply and the building?

The committees interpretation, not mine, is the water has to already be available at the building.
Stupid :.....

A 1500 SF area in a light hazard occupancy such as a church would only require 7 heads. This is a limited area sprinkler system which could be supplied from the domestic water system.

What additional hazard is created by raising the roof & ceiling if the occupant load isn't increased? If the ceiling and roof are raised and a mezzanine is added then it's a different story.

Paul Sweet said:
A 1500 SF area in a light hazard occupancy such as a church would only require 7 heads. This is a limited area sprinkler system which could be supplied from the domestic water system.What additional hazard is created by raising the roof & ceiling if the occupant load isn't increased? If the ceiling and roof are raised and a mezzanine is added then it's a different story.
Agree with half disagree with half