• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinkler alteration

RJJ

Co-Founder
Would you approve this?

photodownsize.jpg

Re: Sprinkler alteration

I looked at a building recently where over 50 sprinklers had been relocated using various lengths of 1/2 inch nipples to start the transition. Sometimes they increased the pipe back to 1 inch. Other times they just ran the 1/2 inch to where the sprinkler head was relocated.

Rejected! :evil:

Looks like someone could use an FPE to help them understand why that's a bad idea... (not you RJ, the genius who did the install ;) )

I stand corrected. The condition show is allowed under some conditions if the length of the 1/2 inch nipple is less than 4 inches.

My bad! :oops:

NFPA 13 (2002) Section 8.14.19.3, Revamping of Sprinker Systems. I knew the minute I posted my original thoughts that I remember doing just that conditon in the past. This allowance is for revamping only. I would not allow a sprinkler contractor install sprinklers in 1/2 inch openings for a core and shell and then use this provision for tenant finish. The core and shell should use bushings and then the bushings removed when the TI's are done.

Thanks, accidently clicked the X when trying to edit...ooops. I didn't look in the 02 so thanks for the info.

EDIT: Now if it's a pipe schedule? New calced system then no.

so what part of the posted picture complies??

8.14.19.3 Revamping of Pipe Schedule Systems.

8.14.19.3.1 When pipe schedule systems are revamped, a nipple not exceeding 4 in. (102 mm) in length shall be permitted to be installed in the branch line fitting.

8.14.19.3.2 All piping other than the nipple permitted in 8.14.19.3.1 and 8.14.19.3.3 shall be a minimum of 1 in. (25.4 mm) in diameter in accordance with Figure 8.14.19.3.2.

8.14.19.3.3 When it is necessary to pipe two new ceiling sprinklers from an existing outlet in an overhead system, the use of a nipple not exceeding 4 in. (102 mm) in length and of the same pipe thread size as the existing outlet shall be permitted, provided that a hydraulic calculation verifies that the design flow rate will be achieved in accordance with Figure 8.14.19.3.3.

Yes I agree in part! The nipple would comply! However, I only have one photo and quite a few heads done in this manner. No plan or calculations.

I believe the nipple is permitted if it extends vertical / up 4" then make the off set.

The "up" part would be if you are adding return bends. The 1/2 x 4 drop is allowed to revamp the system. Normally, you would want to back out the piping to the 1" outlet. However, given that this pipe is concealed, the revamp provisions would apply. It does not matter if the 1/2 x 4 option is used once, or for many heads. The revamp provisions do require hydraulic calculations if the system is calculated.