• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

sprinkler in hydraulic elev. hoistway?

Utakecare2019

California CBC 3005.4.1 refer to NFPA 13, 8.15.5.3.
NFPA 13, 8.15.5.3 says sprinkler shall NOT be required in machine rooms, elevator machinery spaces, ..., or hoistways of TRACTION elevators ..., where all of the following conditions are met. There are 5 conditions. # 5 says The elevator machinery is not of the hydraulic types.
Questions: 1. Is this section only talking about hoistways of traction elevators? 2. Does any traction elevator use hydraulic machinery? 3. If only hoistway of traction elevator, then what about hydaulic elevator hoistway? I heard people saying that elevator inspectors do not want any sprinklers in the pit because there is almost never fire but many safety accident when technicians tried to access sprinkler for maintenance. Since they are not that familiar with elevators or electricity, they got hurt or killed. I also heard hydraulic piston in the pit is not the concern of the combustible hydraulic fluid talked in 8.15.5.2. 8.15.5.2 is more about storage or some big amount.

so is sprinkler required or not in hydraulic elevator hoistway?

Thank you.
UTC

California CBC 3005.4.1 refer to NFPA 13, 8.15.5.3.
NFPA 13, 8.15.5.3 says sprinkler shall NOT be required in machine rooms, elevator machinery spaces, ..., or hoistways of TRACTION elevators ..., where all of the following conditions are met. There are 5 conditions. # 5 says The elevator machinery is not of the hydraulic types.
Questions: 1. Is this section only talking about hoistways of traction elevators? 2. Does any traction elevator use hydraulic machinery? 3. If only hoistway of traction elevator, then what about hydaulic elevator hoistway? I heard people saying that elevator inspectors do not want any sprinklers in the pit because there is almost never fire but many safety accident when technicians tried to access sprinkler for maintenance. Since they are not that familiar with elevators or electricity, they got hurt or killed. I also heard hydraulic piston in the pit is not the concern of the combustible hydraulic fluid talked in 8.15.5.2. 8.15.5.2 is more about storage or some big amount.

so is sprinkler required or not in hydraulic elevator hoistway?

Thank you.
UTC
Could it be that the Risk Assesment indicated that the presence and or quanity of the hydralic Fluid would contribute to a fire? This would prrobably be true of the machine space as well as te pistonbeing in the hoistway.

More of a thought then an answer, It is aninteresting question and amhoping someone who was part og that discussion canshed some light on their thinking