• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinkler inside Walk In Freezer, Building doesn't have sprinklers.

iizrael

Hi
I am looking into this matter because we are currently doing a remodeling of a warehouse and the main job is building a big walk in freezer around 1600 sqfeet.
When we applied for the permits one of the main things they are asking is the sprinkler system inside the freezer. Our main issue with this is the warehouses where we are located do not have a sprinkler system at all (old building) and on our other warehouse next to where we are doing the freezer they understood this issue so the sprinkler system requirement was waived on that warehouse. But for some reason they don't want to do that for the freezer and are pushing us to put the sprinklers inside the freezer.
This would be a complete problem as there is no infrastructure in place for this type of systems on the complex and also the warehouse isn't big and all the tanks and pumps etc for the system would take a lot of space which we don't have. And that's without talking about the increase in cost for the project.
Do anyone knows if this has to be completely required or is there a code that can apply on this case to avoid having to install the sprinklers inside the freezer?

Freezers are not exempt.

Not sure what the other buildings did, but you have not provided much information to base anything on here.

May want to provide applicable code, construction type, building area, occupancy classifications, etc.

FYI dry-head sprinklers exist. Signed off on a conversion from wet to dry a couple years back: owner didn't want to heat a must-be-sprinklered warehouse.
Just for the fun of sharing it, I was involved in the review of this project. We permitted the omission of sprinklers, with fire protection provided by reduced oxygen concentration, such that the oxygen content is below the specific ignition limit of the stored goods.

1708471628110.png

We are currently submitting everything to the city for approval and from their comments came the Fire department requiring we do sprinklers inside the walk in freezer.
The code that they sent as a reference is in the attached picture, i read it but its very basic and i cant find any exceptions to it.
I see the dry sprinklers systems are very interesting but also they are going to increase the cost of this project a lot and we dont have the space to setup all the additional equipment this system requires.

Attachments

• image002.png
    image002.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 9
Just for the fun of sharing it, I was involved in the review of this project. We permitted the omission of sprinklers, with fire protection provided by reduced oxygen concentration, such that the oxygen content is below the specific ignition limit of the stored goods.

View attachment 12903
Did something similar when I did my internship with a fire engineering firm for a server farm that processed credit card payments for all of the east half of Canada for one of the big banks. Very interesting project to learn on.

We are currently submitting everything to the city for approval and from their comments came the Fire department requiring we do sprinklers inside the walk in freezer.
The code that they sent as a reference is in the attached picture, i read it but its very basic and i cant find any exceptions to it.
I see the dry sprinklers systems are very interesting but also they are going to increase the cost of this project a lot and we dont have the space to setup all the additional equipment this system requires.
That is not the right code section to cite in requiring a fire sprinkler system. Where required, generally it will either be specified in Section 903 or based upon the Ch. 5 requirements related to the building size.

That is not the right code section to cite in requiring a fire sprinkler system. Where required, generally it will either be specified in Section 903 or based upon the Ch. 5 requirements related to the building size.

Florida Building Code 2603.4.1.2 Cooler and Freezer Walls​

Foam plastic installed in a maximum thickness of 10 inches (254 mm) in cooler and freezer walls shall:
  1. Have a flame spread index of 25 or less and a smoke-developed index of not more than 450, where tested in a minimum 4-inch (102 mm) thickness.
  2. Have flash ignition and self-ignition temperatures of not less than 600°F and 800°F (316°C and 427°C), respectively.
  3. Have a covering of not less than 0.032-inch (0.8 mm) aluminum or corrosion-resistant steel having a base metal thickness not less than 0.0160 inch (0.4 mm) at any point.
  4. Be protected by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1. Where the cooler or freezer is within a building, both the cooler or freezer and that part of the building in which it is located shall be sprinklered.

2603.4.1.3 Walk-in Coolers

In nonsprinklered buildings, foam plastic having a thickness that does not exceed 4 inches (102 mm) and a maximum flame spread index of 75 is permitted in walk-in coolers or freezer units where the aggregate floor area does not exceed 400 square feet (37 m2) and the foam plastic is covered by a metal facing not less than 0.032-inch-thick (0.81 mm) aluminum or corrosion-resistant steel having a minimum base metal thickness of 0.016 inch (0.41 mm). A thickness of up to 10 inches (254 mm) is permitted where protected by a thermal barrier.

You need to decrease the foam thickness to 4-inches and the freezer size to less than 400 SF.

Florida Building Code 2603.4.1.2 Cooler and Freezer Walls​

Foam plastic installed in a maximum thickness of 10 inches (254 mm) in cooler and freezer walls shall:
  1. Have a flame spread index of 25 or less and a smoke-developed index of not more than 450, where tested in a minimum 4-inch (102 mm) thickness.
  2. Have flash ignition and self-ignition temperatures of not less than 600°F and 800°F (316°C and 427°C), respectively.
  3. Have a covering of not less than 0.032-inch (0.8 mm) aluminum or corrosion-resistant steel having a base metal thickness not less than 0.0160 inch (0.4 mm) at any point.
  4. Be protected by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1. Where the cooler or freezer is within a building, both the cooler or freezer and that part of the building in which it is located shall be sprinklered.

2603.4.1.3 Walk-in Coolers

In nonsprinklered buildings, foam plastic having a thickness that does not exceed 4 inches (102 mm) and a maximum flame spread index of 75 is permitted in walk-in coolers or freezer units where the aggregate floor area does not exceed 400 square feet (37 m2) and the foam plastic is covered by a metal facing not less than 0.032-inch-thick (0.81 mm) aluminum or corrosion-resistant steel having a minimum base metal thickness of 0.016 inch (0.41 mm). A thickness of up to 10 inches (254 mm) is permitted where protected by a thermal barrier.

You need to decrease the foam thickness to 4-inches and the freezer size to less than 400 SF.
I think you are agreeing with me...

2603.4.1.2 does not explicitly require fire sprinklers. It only refers to where other sections require sprinklers, namely 903.3.1.1 or where the building requires fire sprinklers (i.e. Ch. 5).