• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinkler Q.

SCBO1

SILVER MEMBER
IFC 2012, section 5306.2.1, requires a room to have one automatic sprinkler to provide container cooling in case of fire.

No definition of room in the IFC, so does that mean if the Med Gas is in a closet and not a room, no sprinkler required?

And if you believe the Med Gas closet requires a sprinkler, how would you go about that?

Could you tie one sprinkler into the domestic?

Where ever the gas is requires protection

But that room has to meet all the Med has rules

Depending on what your city allows
Can be fed off domestic

This is the code provision that allows the med gas room to be sprinkled with domestic water lines serving the head. If the AHJ adopted the code they have to allow it.

903.3.5.1.1 Limited area sprinkler systems.
Limited area sprinkler systems serving fewer than 20 sprinklers on any single connection are permitted to be connected to the domestic service where a wet automatic standpipe is not available. Limited area sprinkler systems connected to domestic water supplies shall comply with each of the following requirements:

1. Valves shall not be installed between the domestic water riser control valve and the sprinklers.

Exception: An approved indicating control valve supervised in the open position in accordance with Section 903.4.

2. The domestic service shall be capable of supplying the simultaneous domestic demand and the sprinkler demand required to be hydraulically calculated by NFPA 13, NFPA 13D or NFPA 13R.

mtlog,

That's the case here, no standpipe.

Looks like the buildings water shut off valve will need to be after the sprinkler line to the Med-Gas Closet, if I'm reading that correctly, that makes sense. I've got to get an RPZ devise in there because it's a DDS office and will have a sprinkler head.

Thought I was going to be playing a definition game with the words "Room" and "Closet"

Thanks for the help!

I don’t think a shut off is required after

If the diametric is off more than likely the office is shut down

Yes the gas will still be there

Just adding mud to the mud

cda,
We typically have a shut off valve where the water service enters the building.

Med-gas closet is designed with 1-hr walls and lid including 60-min door with closer. Has venting meeting the requirements as well.

I saw that sprinkler requirement, and started shaking like when you had to many soda's!

cda,
We typically have a shut off valve where the water service enters the building.

Med-gas closet is designed with 1-hr walls and lid including 60-min door with closer. Has venting meeting the requirements as well.

I saw that sprinkler requirement, and started shaking like when you had to many soda's!

Calm down, put down the Moutain Dew, it will be ok,

Just let the plumber solder a sprinker on a pipe and call it good