• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinklered Type IIB building unsprinklered detached canopy

Vlab20

Bronze Member
Designing a 1-story Type 2B building will be fully sprinklered NFPA 13 with a detached canopy. The Canopy will be steel columns with Heavy Timber beams and 3" thick wood decking. We want the canopy to be unsprinklered.
Some of our fellow architects are stating that the canopy must be sprinklered per NFPA 13 2013 edition or the heavy timber beams must meet limited combustible requirements to avoid sprinkleriing.

Building code is IBC 2015.

Any thoughts on if this can be UNSPRINKLERED?

Designing a 1-story Type 2B building will be fully sprinklered NFPA 13 with a detached canopy. The Canopy will be steel columns with Heavy Timber beams and 3" thick wood decking. We want the canopy to be unsprinklered.
Some of our fellow architects are stating that the canopy must be sprinklered per NFPA 13 2013 edition or the heavy timber beams must meet limited combustible requirements to avoid sprinkleriing.

Building code is IBC 2015.

Any thoughts on if this can be UNSPRINKLERED?

Unless there is something in the building code requiring, which I think the answer is no,,

NFPA 13 does not require it, because it is not “attached” to the building

3105.4 Awnings and canopy materials. Awnings and canopies
shall be provided with an approved covering that meets
the fire propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or
Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701 or has a flame
spread index not greater than 25 when tested in accordance
with ASTM E84 or UL 723.

If it is not attached, I don't really see where NFPA 13 applies...2 buildings on the same lot maybe....

if it is detached and treated s a separate building, you would have to assume a property line between the structures. I assume the the closeness of the two buildings to the assumed property lines would not allow openings in walls per table 602. If it is considered as one building, then if a building is protected by NFPA 13, the only way to eliminate the fire sprinklers is if you meet one of the twelve exceptions permitted by NFPA 13.

Another exception is to use the pedestrian walkway exception in Chapter 31 - If it fails to meet that criteria as well, I would also make the detached open sided building be protected by a fire sprinkler system or meet the requirements of T602 for closeness to the assumed property line in order to treat it as a separate building by the building code.

However, without having a site plan or other details provided, the above is the hypothetical approach I would have used when serving as fire marshal/ or commercial plan reviewer.

Helpful Hint since nobody likes being told NO -
Look in NFPA 13 in regards to having to fire sprinkler drive-through (like a bank), exceptions are provided for passenger drop off canopies as LONG AS PARKING is not allowed - (No Parking Signs, No loading or unloading of trucks, No combustibles, and Security is provided to monitor traffic at this location, etc.) You may have to look at NFPA 13 technical interpretations to find this tidbit. The items listed above were the official interpretation used to enforce this when people wanted the detached passenger unloading/ loading cover is the last fire district I worked in.
If this exception was provided, we required it to be documented on the plan set for permanent record storage.