• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinklers in electrical closets

crothemi

I work in a hospital and we are having a pseudo CMS survey done.

One of the things our "inspector" brought up was an electrical closet that was missing a sprinkler head.

After looking into it deeper out of the 45 similar closets we have only 15 have a sprinkler head.

These are small 25 square feet or less, non combustabe construction.

All 45 of these closets have a system smoke detector in them.

Do I go back and have sprinklers installed in the remaining 30?

I have never been a big fan of mixing sprinklers and electrical panels.

I have seen the damage that can be done by a small leak.

sprinkler them. You can install a shield over the panel if you want to. CMS and Joint Commission will both require them to be sprinklered if the zone is classified as sprinklered.

If you install sprinklers in the electrical closets remeber that 110.26(F)(1)© of the NEC requires that there is protection installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in the sprinkler piping.

Chris

Install them everywhere. You have multiple masters here. Even if a local jurisdiction accepts the situation and does not require a retrofit, CMS/The Joint Commission will, and they hold the money/accreditation. They use NFPA 101, and apply it retroactively. Actually, what they do is assume CH 18 (new construciton) applies everywhere, unless you can prove a given smoke compartment has not been touched since 2003, and then MAYBE you can apply CH 19 (existing), IF you meet all the separation (new to existing) requirements.

The mere presence of electrical equipment does not allow omission of sprinklers, but there are provisions in NFPA 13 that address this issue.

sprinklers in the electrical closet. Ah, yes. One of those "electric guys hate water" things.

Put the sprinklers in and shield the panel.