• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinklers required?

Codegeek

I have a client who is looking at keeping their retail occupancy to under 12,000 to eliminate the requirement for fire sprinklers.

They are proposing that the physical building be less than 12,000 square feet. However, they are attaching a metal roof deck for cart storage and a redbox machine. I believe that the area contained under the metal roof deck attributes to the fire area, which in this case would put the square footage of the fire area over 12,000 square feet and thus require a sprinkler system.

Question #1 - Is my thought process correct? If not, why? If yes, then would Question #2 alleviate the sprinkler requirement?

Question #2 - Is there was a physical separation from the building and the metal roof deck would this area now be considered part of the fire area?

FIRE AREA.

The aggregate floor area enclosed and

bounded by firewalls, fire barriers, exteriorwalls, or fire-resistance-

rated horizontal assemblies of a building.

This term is used to describe a specific and controlled

area within a building that may consist of a portion of

the floor area within a single story, one entire story or

the combined floor area of several stories, depending

on how these areas are enclosed and separated from

other floor areas. Where a fire barrier wall with a

fire-resistance rating in accordance with the IBC divides

the floor area of a one-story building, the floor areas

on each side of the wall constitute a separate fire

area. If a floor/ceiling assembly separating the two stories

in a two-story building is fire-resistance rated in

accordance with the IBC, each story is a separate fire

area. In cases where mezzanines are present, the

floor area of the mezzanine is included in the fire area

calculations, even though the area of the mezzanine

does not contribute to the building area calculations.

See the commentary to Sections 702 (definition of

“Fire area”) and 706.3.9 of the IBC for further information.

Does the wall have unprotected openings?

[F] FIRE AREA. The aggregate floor area enclosed and bounded by fire walls, fire barriers , exterior walls or horizontal assemblies of a building. Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the fire area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof or floor next above.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the type of construction?

You said retail, is it Mercantile, Group-M? are there other occupancy classes? Mixed use?

I'm assuming they will want to use type VB construction, as it would qualify based on allowance for area increase. It may be mixed use, for which I have explained they will have to use separated uses. Most likely, this will be a free-standing structure with nothing else attached to it. All the more reason from their perspective not to provide fire sprinklers.

I have explained the definitions of fire area versus building area to them as well and the potential need for fire barriers.

what edition??

I believe the 09 would count that as fire area, do not have the book, but it was a slide in the transtion to 09 power point that is posted somewhere

I'm looking at the 2009, which is why I think it is part of the fire area. Yes, I reviewed the significant changes and it is discussed in there.

Mercantile (20006 IBC Type V-B) 9000-sf + 75% perimeter increase [if clear all around] = 15,750-sf of allowable area per floor. Oh, only one floor allwoed in Table 5003.

The project will be under the allowable square footage per Table 503. The question is whether or not the exterior area under what could be called a roof projection counts within the fire area. If it does, then the entire building, including the roof projection would have to remain under 12,000 square feet to not require a sprinkler system.

If it used for storage like the US Post office cart storage at the outside dock then yes. If it is part of the main roof yes. Is it a metal canopy similar to coverd walkways between school buildings? I do not know what a redbox machine is. The allowable area I listed was to aid you in determining if the exterior area is used then you have your max area.

Detach the cart storage from the building by say a foot

And call it good

Is the cart storage enclosed on any other side besides where it is attached to the building???

it's part of the fire area; if they insist on having it attached to the building, they get to sprinkle... why can't they make it a U building not attached?

IF the canopy is not a continuation of the building roof but a separate attached structure (the roof stops at the exterior wall), then I would not count the area under the canopy as part of the fire area. Or you could rate the wall to create separate fire areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Examiner - redbox machines are found in the midwest at mcdonald's and other locations where folks can rent videos for one night for about $1 a piece.

Thank you for your answer Examiner, TJabobs, peach and cda. You're on the same wave length on the separation from the building.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Codegeek said:
I'm assuming they will want to use type VB construction, as it would qualify based on allowance for area increase. It may be mixed use, for which I have explained they will have to use separated uses. Most likely, this will be a free-standing structure with nothing else attached to it. All the more reason from their perspective not to provide fire sprinklers. I have explained the definitions of fire area versus building area to them as well and the potential need for fire barriers.
I would be less worried about the fire areas and more worried about the unknown future uses and what they do to your allowable area. Originally you said this would be a mercantile occupancy. But then you say it could be a mixed use. If it is a separated mixed use, then what happens if they want to put a restaurant in one of the tenant spaces? All of the sudden your allowable area according to IBC 508.4.2 changes.