• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

sprinklers. where required. S-1 under 12,000 sf

Keith

I've got my trail of breadcrumbs leading me back home, but I'm still lost.My question: Why/If sprinklers are required in attached building.Building conditions:Type IIIN Area: 8,000 SF total (warehouse) with two stories in part of the building.2 tenants. One with HVAC business, storage and office. Other tenant with Auto Repair, some storage and office.My path through the code has been the following:IFC 903.2No mention of office occupancy. S-1 below 12,000 SF sprinklers not required. 903.2.11.1 Stories without openingsAny floor must have 20sf of opening within every 50 linear feet?Given the plan, what else triggers the requirement for sprinklers?(I can't seem to revise the attached pdf... stay tuned)Thanks

View attachment 1504

auto.pdf

auto.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the "windowless story" requirement is only for levels above or below the level of exit discharge?

Probably no sprinklers, unless some CA amendment that would trigger them.

High-piled combustible storage??

Did you look at 903.2.9? Is the repair garage limited to private vehicles? Is the building one fire area or multiple fire areas? Just dotting I's and crossing T's questions

903.2.9.1 Repair garages.

4. A Group S-1 fire area used for the repair of commercial trucks or buses where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).

903.2.11.1 Stories without openings is applicable to all stories including ground level.