• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinklers yes or no

Examiner

Working on an existing building

Code in use: 2006 IBC

Occupancy use is not going to change. It is Group B

Construction Type II-B

Currently it has a second floor but not completely over the first floor. New design will remove some of the upper floor making that area even smaller.

It is a small building with 10,150-sf on the ground floor and the second floor is 1,900-sf.

Total gutting of interior partition, ceilings, hvac, electrical and some plumbing.

I have looked at IBC Chapter 34 and the IEBC. Do not know much about these parts of the Codes, so could someone provide me with some input?

The Boss has asked me; because of the value of the gutting, if a sprinkler system will be required? From what I see in the IEBC the work will be a Level 3 which also requires compliance with Levels 1 & 2. I just did not see anything that would require the building to have a sprinkler system for a Business occupancy use group.

Input please?

Builder Bob said:
not required unless a conference room on hte second floor exceeds 750 SF........then you have an asssembly on the floor above exit discharge - move it to the first floor and call it good if adequate exits are provided directly to the exterior.
BTW, in their infinite effort to cast every exception as a loophole, IBC 2009 removes the 750 SF of assembly exception to mixed occupancy classification.

Builder Bob said:
thanks brudgers --- one day SC will be in the new fangled code.....2006 ed. here
That will be a bad day. The IBC gets worse with each edition, not better.

I'm with jpranch. IEBC says for Level 2 it must meet all of the requirements, and for new construction it would not be required.

brudgers said:
That will be a bad day. The IBC gets worse with each edition, not better.
I am not to sure about all things....... I think the 2003 was a vast improvement over the 2000 I-codes.. However, I do think the third party inspections being required for every small store that may have a fire rated door in it is to the extreme... especially when i saw a post on another BB that their minimum charge is $750 for a fire door inspection.

High rises, Instituitional, large assemblies (greater than 300 OL) and educational ----- Yes, I can see it, but not on small retail stores.

If it's not required in new construction, it complies with the current code without one.