• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Square base to circular column a tripping hazard?

gnarkill283

We need to have square bases for our circular columns. The bases are 1' high and 2" longer in length than the diameter of the columns. Is this acceptable? If not what can be done to make it acceptable? Raise the height of the base or transition the square into the circular column shape? Thanks

Code does not address... it is a minimum standard.

Should you address... maybe. You seem to think it will be a trip hazard. You can fur out the columns to match the pedestal dimensions.

Can you drop the bases into whatever they bear on so that the top is flush with the floor?

Not so much a code issue as it is an insurance issue.

As stated elsewhere, not a code problem.

There are other portions of the codes (such as ADAS 307.2) developed in such a way that might imply that people generally tend to stay at least 4" away from walls, posts, etc. as they travel, so the 2" might not be a problem. But nothing you can "hang your hat on".

1672950678085.png

Found an example at my local pharmacy today. I think allowed, but feel the taller the base the better.

Attachments

• PXL_20230106_160306169_copy_768x1024.jpg
    PXL_20230106_160306169_copy_768x1024.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 1
We need to have square bases for our circular columns. The bases are 1' high and 2" longer in length than the diameter of the columns. Is this acceptable? If not what can be done to make it acceptable? Raise the height of the base or transition the square into the circular column shape? Thanks
An inch of base sticking past the column is acceptable. I’m not sure why you would ask…..

It's an inch at the minimum. At the corners it's considerably more. A 12" diameter column on a 14" square base would project nearly 3.9" at the corners.

It seems to me that if one were to be tripped by that 4" corner they would have run into the column. I don't see that as a hazard. It probably wouldn't hurt to chamfer the top of that corner ..... soften the blow if a drunk slams his head into it.... but other than drunk people, where's the problem?

Last edited:
It seems to me that if one were to be tripped by that 4" corner they would have run into the column. I don't see that as a hazard. It probably wouldn't hurt to chamfer the top of that corner ..... soften the blow if a drunk slams his head into it.... but other than drunk people, where's the problem?
Hey hey hey.....I resemble that remark....