• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair and Stairway Definition

RJMCGUIRE

I am currently trying to determine exactly when handrails are required for stairs; i.e. exterior stairs.Per IBC, a Stair is defined as a change in elevation, consisting of one or more risers. A Stairway is one or more flights of stairs, either exterior or interior.I currently have a site that requires a steps. The civil engineer as place a few stairs along the path of a sidewalk; i.e. a few steps then a long landing and then a few more steps.

View attachment 1817

is this a situation that would be defined as a stairway; i.e. one or more flights of stairs; thus the handrail requirement comes into play? if I could reduce this design to just one step; would handrails be required?finally, if this is a stairway and handrails are required; then could I use 1009.12; exception 3 by only putting in one step at a time as long as the landing exceed the required depth?Thank you,RMView attachment 1817

/monthly_2013_06/Capture.JPG.84adc286e2d9fc59cddb6e62ef86be9f.JPG

RJMCGUIRE said:
,,, consisting of one or more risers.... if I could reduce this design to just one step; would handrails be required?
....consisting of one or more risers....

Yes.

Slope the walk too much and you have a ramp.... and you will need rails....

Are the steps accessible?

RJMCGUIRE said:
if this is a stairway and handrails are required; then could I use 1009.12; exception 3 by only putting in one step at a time as long as the landing exceed the required depth?

Thank you,

RM
no handrail would be required per the exception..

Mark is on target... regardless of what the code defines as a step, stair, or stairway....... if it is an accessible route (complete with signage -(accessible vs. non-accessible) then it wouldn't matter since an change in elevation over 1/2" would require a ramp or a slope less than 1:20 to remove handrails/wheel guards.

RJMCGUIRE said:
then could I use 1009.12; exception 3 by only putting in one step at a time as long as the landing exceed the required depth?
That might produce an uncomfortable gait.

There is a walk on the Virginia state capitol grounds with 6" or so risers spaced 5 to 6 feet apart. It looks nice, and it's lined with benches, but the gait is very uncomfortable.

Coug Dad said:
The 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design does not contain the one step exception found in IBC.
The intent of the ADASAD is not to have single steps, instead the intent is to provide ramps with the "least slope possible"

The ADASAD does not define a "stair flight" or stair. But does say

505 Handrails

505.2 ... Handrails shall be provided on both sides of stairs and ramps

Coug Dad said:
The 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design does not contain the one step exception found in IBC.
Has Texas adopted the 2010 ADA? The OP asked about the exception from chapter 10 of the IBC, which if adopted they can use.

kilitact said:
Has Texas adopted the 2010 ADA? The OP asked about the exception from chapter 10 of the IBC, which if adopted they can use.
2012 Texas Accessibility Standards Mirrors 2010 ADASAD

mark handler said:
2012 Texas Accessibility Standards Mirrors 2010 ADASAD
Than if we have an accessible path of egress handrails would be required otherwise no handrails required.